1993 Camry Doesn't Shift Until It is Warm

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experienced this problem and what it took to repair it. Car is a 1993 Toyota Camry 3.0 litre engine with A540E automatic transmission. Transmission shops all suggest having it replaced by a rebuilt one. Look forward to ideas and suggestions from other Toyota Camry drivers. Thanks in advance Herb

Reply to
spar

well unfortunately that is the standard line from most trans shops because i guess there is so much labor involved in removing and installing a trans. They never seem to want to do a standard road test, shift and stall pressure test to narrow it down which is what you need. Try to find someone that will do the diagnostics for you or buy a trans line pressure test gauge and you can do it yourself by following the camy trans diagnostics for the A540E available online.

Is the TCM throwing any codes? Ie. O/D light blinking?

dave mc

Reply to
davemac

actually one other thing you should check is the fluid level when cold and make sure it is in fact above the cold mark on the stick when you experience this symptom.

dave mc

Reply to
davemac

You're not referring to shift into overdrive are you?

Reply to
Daniel

Daniel Thanks for responding to my notice on my 1993 Toyota Camry shifting response. What mine does is not shift from 1st to second or 3rd I have driven it at least a couple of miles at or under the 30 miles town speed which usually takes about 5-8 minutes. Hope this information will assist in finding out what is causing this. Kind regards Herb Sparling

Daniel wrote:

Reply to
spar

Dave Thanks for your response to my advertisement re my

1993 Toyota Camry shifting problems. According to my mechanic the TCM doesn't show any troubling codes to identify a fault code.. Also I did not notice the overdrive light blinking. I did not have a stall test done as that was not suggested to me by the mechanic, I will however go in and talk with him tomorrow and see if he will do one. Also can you advise the web site that offers the A540E diagnostics on line. Thanks for your suggestions and ideas. have a great day. Regards Herb Sparling

davemac wrote:

Reply to
spar

Dave That was the first symptom I checked Thanks for the suggestion. It appears rather than cause any further delay I can purchase a used Toyota Camry from Japanese Engine & Transmission which they claim only has 50,000 klms on them direct from Japan for $299.00 delivered, best price I have got so far. Regards Herb

davemac wrote:

Reply to
spar

What does the fluid look like?

Reply to
FantomFan

Yeah... when was the last time the fluid was changed (drain and fill)?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett