89 camry steering

From what i have read, camrys from the year 1989 have alot of play in the steering, about an inch or so to both sides from dead center, just from use over the years, anyone have this repaired? how much it costs and what has to be fixed? thanks

Reply to
446905

use

This can be dangerous. I had to have mine (89 V6) fixed by getting the rack replaced--cost close to 750. The rack had too much play and could not be adjusted.

Reply to
somebody

sigh, i figured.

the

has

rack

Reply to
446905

WHOA! Granted, I worked at a parts store and got my parts at cost, but a R&P for an '85 Celica cost me $95; or $139.95 for anyone else! It was remanufactured. I had a frienk at a Meineke put it in (I don't have a lift, and I was going to be damned laying on my back on the ground) for $140. Granted, I got a deal, but shop around! Also, have a mechanic check the rack...mine was good, but we had a lot of defective returns on them.

Check CarQuest or NAPA.

Reply to
HachiRoku