91 radiator problem.

A few months ago I repalced the old radiator. Now I cannot remove the radiator cap. I rotate it 90 degrees ccw to its stop. Is 90 degrees appropriate turning angle? Need I force it more ccw to open? Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson

Reply to
Seamus J. Wilson

If it is the proper cap for the rad, then you have rotated it enough to remove. It sounds like the seal has become glued to the tank-cap-seat. Force will be required and a new cap afterwards.

If it is not the correct cap, then it has become jammed-on mechanically. To remove, you may have to prise the metal-skirt or sides of the cap down then outwards using strong long-nose pliers. This will free the lip from the cam-bumps on the rad-neck. It then will pop-up.

I had this happen to me once. I thought the cap I had was the correct type, and I used more force than usual to close it,....I paid for that piece of stupidity :-)

Jason

Reply to
Jason James