Engine Temperature problem with my New Camry

This is very odd. Tonight the engine temperature gauge on my '06 Camry LE 4-cylinder did something I've never seen it do before.

I had been shopping at Walmart for 45 minutes. When I left the store, and started the car, everything was fine. I drove about a block and turned off the engine to rearrange some shopping bags. The engine was off for maybe a minute or two while I rearranged bags.

When I started the engine back up, the engine temperature gauge went a lot higher than I've ever seen it, and I always check it while driving.

Normally, when the engine reaches operating temperature the gauge stops rising when the gauge reaches about a 45-degree angle. If the gauge were pointing straight up at a 90-degree angle, the gauge would be in the red zone, too hot.

Instead of a 45-degree angle where the gauge always comes to a stop, it continued rising to about a 67-degree angle, which is midway between the usual 45-degree angle it stops at and the danger zone of 90 degrees.

I was amazed and stunned to see this. The car is not even

2 years old yet. And the oil was recently changed.

I drove about a block and parked the car near a Break Time store. I waited inside the store for half-an-hour so the engine could cool down. The engine light on the dash never came on during any of this, which is a good thing. I have no idea if the gauge would have continued rising, though, had I not stopped to let things cool.

While waiting, I checked the coolant level in the expansion bottle/coolant reservoir. The coolant level was normal, half-way between full and low. The lid on the coolant reservoir was properly closed, as was the cap on top of the radiator.

The oil level on the dipstick was normal. After 30 minutes of waiting inside Break Time, I opened the cap on top of the radiator to check the coolant in the radiator. Plenty of coolant inside, a little bit even spilled out. I reclosed the radiator cap.

I didn't see any leaks on the ground. The fluid levels were all normal for power steering and brake fluid. The only thing I didn't check was the automatic transmission fluid.

I had only driven 24 miles today over a 2- or 3-hour period making various stops before arriving at Walmart. All city driving, no highway. Nothing out of the ordinary. The only thing slightly askew was I had my air conditioning on during the first half of the day, even though it was 62 degrees F outside. The A/C was off during the second half.

The worst part is I was planning to visit St. Louis tomorrow (Sunday), but now I fear I may not go. St. Louis is a 2-hour, 125-mile drive.

After my 30-minute layover at Break Time, I started the car, and everything was back to normal: the temperature gauge stopped at its usual 45-degree angle. The gauge did not continue climbing to a 67-degree angle, even though I drove a good 3 or 4 miles.

What do you think happened? Should I make the trip to St. Louis tomorrow, or hold tight and first take the car to the dealership on Monday? Like I said, the Camry isn't even

2 years old yet, so it's still covered under the 3-year bumper-to- bumper warranty.
Reply to
Built_Well

Engine temperature will climb with the engine off; the water pump is not turning to circulate the coolant. This is perfectly normal. You may not have got the engine hot enough to even kick on the electric cooling fan(s.) Unless the temp. actually climbed into or close to the red area, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Now if it gets that hot while driving, that may be cause for concern.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nothing to worry about. If you drive the car long enough to warm up the coolant to normal operating temperature and shut off the engine, the coolant will continue to absorb heat from the engine, and since it is not circulating through the radiator, the coolant will rise above normal operating temperature. If you had let the engine run for a few more minutes, you would see the coolant temperature start to fall again.

Reply to
Ray O

I thank all of you for your reassurances. I was stunned and amazed that my sweet 2-year-old Camry would behave in such a way :-)

Reply to
Built_Well

We aren't surprised that you're worried.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Sounds to me it MAY be normal for an `06

My `02 when warm always stays at the center of the gauge (118,0000 k )

BUT ? when I stop after a run anywhere , the temp is still at the middle stage AND ? THE FAN(S )COME ON immediately UNTIL THE SENSOR REACHES SHUTDOWN TEMP.......

Maybe your sensor is defective and not coming on when it should >?if vehicle is still under warranty take it in and have it checked out . It may just be a sticking fan sensor (if mechanical) or a defective electronic sensor that is on the verge of breaking down.

Reply to
mred

I agree it should be checked. If the engine gets hot with the engine not running, usually the fan will start, even with the ignition OFF. If the fan does NOT start there may be something wrong. MAYBE it was just not hot enough to trigger the fan, but I would not take the chance.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

In the OP's car, the electric cooling fans will not come on with the ignition off. The OP was experiencing normal operation.

Reply to
Ray O

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

In my `02 the fans come on with igntion OFF ,if temp is right

Reply to
mred

Direct result of Global Warming. You parked the thing in a Climate Change Hot Spot.

This will teach you to fool with Mother Nature...

Reply to
Hachiroku

There are lots of vehicles with electric cooling fans that work with the ignition off, but the OP's car is not one of them. The OP's car also does not have a fan sensor, although it does have a couple of coolant temperature sensors.

Reply to
Ray O

Apart from 'heat soak' where the coolant may sit higher than normal for a minute or so, it maybe a sticking t/stat. These almost always clear by themselves where the t/stat is relatively new. If it continues to be erratic, consider having the thermostat replaced. Not an expensive job,..but the car is probably still under warranty anyway, so dont be afraid to report the problem to your dealer,..if it continues.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Defective gauge is a possibility here. Get it in during warranty and get it fixed for free. Check the Toyota TSB EL005R-06.

New York Times July 2, 2006 Motoring Service Bulletins Can Explain Repair Mysteries By SCOTT STURGIS

"TOYOTA The automaker mentions in T.S.B. EL005R-06 that some Camrys may seem to be running somewhat hot.

What is really happening, Toyota says, is that the temperature gauge may give an inaccurate reading in 2005 and 2006 models. Replacement with a redesigned gauge should keep Camry owners feeling a little cooler."

Reply to
johngdole

Absolutely! When in warranty and you see this kind of weird behavior, take it in and have it documented. That way a few years down the line a TSB (like the Toyota EL005R-06 "temperature gauge may seem somewhat hot").

We can talk on the net all day. But let the dealer do the diagnosis and tell you yes or no. That's what warranty coverage is all about.

Reply to
johngdole

What is happening here is that the temperature gauge is an extremely nonlinear one, with a whole range of temperatures reading exactly in the middle of the scale. This prevents people calling Toyota in the middle of the summer complaining that their engines are running 10 degrees hotter. I'm just speculating, but I bet they just increased the range of temperatures that read dead-center.

Reply to
Nobody Important

That is common is most automakers and for exactly the reason you describe.

You can think of the guage as missing the span from 1/3 to 2/3rds.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I've heard of VW or Fiat technicians solving the problem of complaints of engines running a bit on the hot side by bending the temperature gauge needle a little to the right. This sounds like a myth to me but I can see that a temp gauge that too accurate is undesirable. Personally, I would think it better to just install a special "cooler running" gauge sender for those too sensitive gauges. :-)

david

Reply to
dsi1

Opps - I meant LEFT.

This sounds like a myth to me but I

Reply to
dsi1

Reply to
philthy

My old '95 doesnt do that,..but when you think of it, it's a bit futile. When the engine is turned off, all the circulation of hot coolant stops. This will cause a rise in engine-block and head coolant temp,..the radiator cooling fan sensor is in the bottom tank of the radiator. This means while it may come on when the car is next started, it equally may not depending on ambient temp,..whether the engine was working hard etc Cooling the radiator when the car is stopped, only cools approx 1/3 of total coolant which resides in the radiator. The hot engine coolant is still waiting to be cooled by recommenced circulation.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James