91 transmission

I have a 91 Camry with the computer controlled transmission. The transmission shifts into the upper gears to quickly and will not downshift. I frequently have to push the overdrive off button and/or manually put the shift into 2nd gear to get it to go to the lower gears as necessary. It doesn't act like this all the time, but probably about 80% of the time.

The car was bought used, very abused. I have taken the valve body apart and reassembled with new gaskets. I could not find anything obviously wrong with it and the transmission drove pretty much the same after I put it back together. Looking for suggestions as to the cause and whether there is anything I can do short of rebuilding the entire transmission.

Thanks

Reply to
bll230

As a general principle I'm not fond of rebuilding tranmissions unless you're doing the work yourself. Too many reports of additional or recurring problems. Not to say it cannot be done well, but suspect chances are better if you install a lower mileage original replacement transaxle. First though, I'd try Lucas transmission fix - might just surprise you (in a good way). lucasoil.com has the technical information. Haven't heard any negative reports from those who have actually used the product.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I got the Lucas product and it seems to have made a great imrpovement. Do you have any idea how a different oil type can affect the operations of the transmission? Also, the bottle says to add the contents to the transmission without draining any fluid first. Do you agree or should i know drain some to get back the proper amount?

If I can help you with model helicopters let me know!

Thanks again,

John

Reply to
bll230