2001 saab 93, ignition cutoff?

I just bought this car and had trouble getting it started a few times, Is there an iginition cutoff or immobilzer that i don't know about. The battery is fine and i had to run it through the gears a few time to get it to start up. It happend 3 times this month. Has this happened to anyone? Could somoone help me !!!!

Reply to
stephen.luchko

Sounds like a bad ignition switch.

Reply to
- Bob -

Well - is there? If so, you need to know about it.

The

Not sure what that means - how do you run a car through the gears if it won't start? If it is not starting at first, but then does finally start, it sounds like you are not looking at an anti-theft device, unless you closed and re-opened the lock system in your efforts to get it startted.

It happend 3 times this month. Has this happened to

Mine has an anti-theft fuel cutoff, and I've seen quite a few others that do as well. If you leave the car unlocked for even a couple of minutes without starting it, it will not start any more. You have to re-lock the car, using the cemtralized locking system, and open it again. I HATE the thing. Not only is it a nuisance, but I'm concerned it will lock me out one day and I won't be able to get it started at all.

Is this what you're looking at?

GF

Reply to
Greg Farris

Our '95 900SE has a theft alarm. If the red LED on top of the dash is blinking, the engine will not crank when you tun the key.

What does that mean?

Reply to
MH

We had that problem in 99 with our 9-3 automatic transmission.

Several times, you couldn't start the car once stop in a parking. Not only the motor didn't start but even if the motor was running, the transmission was locked on park. Both problems were related to a plastic pin somewhere. It took almost 1 year for the dealer to find the problem at the time.

"stephen.luchko" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@l39g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Junkyard Engineer

Reply to
stephen.luchko

I'm thinking auto box with reverse gear or park ignition lockout that might have gone bad?

No experience with autos directly, but don't they generally have some kind of lockout to stop the car shooting away when started?

Reply to
Elder

An automatic transmission.

That is why SAAB drivers tend to favour a proper manual box.

Reply to
Elder

That sounds very plausible. I had a car a few years ago (Reliant Scimitar) which did that when the engine was warm. Best way to get it to start was to either wait for it to cool down or to open the bonnet and pour a couple of pints of water over the transmission casing :)

I'd recommend taking a look / getting someone to take a look at the adjustment of the transmission selector linkage. It sounds like it's just a touch out, with the inhibitor switch getting triggered when the selector is in neutral.

Certainly there's usually a lock-out to stop you starting it in drive or reverse - that's been fitted since the start of the 70s (going by the Scimitar, which was October 1970).

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

That'd be one with a freewheel, nyet ;)

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

yes except when the main driver is your wife...

At the time, I drove an A4 with a shifter.

Anyway, Stephen, that was 7 years ago, I'm afraid I don't remember the name of that plastic pin.

"Elder" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

Reply to
Junkyard Engineer

Yup. I've only driven SAABs with those newfangled 5 speed boxes.

Reply to
Elder

I'd say it's a problem in the Neutral Safety Switch.

I had the exact same problem in my 2000 9-3. When the engine was cold it was never a problem but when the engine was warm I'd have this periodic "no crank" problem. Just like you said.....turn the key and no crank but everything else was working. Wait 15 minutes and the problem would go away.

I replaced the Neutral Saftey Switch last month and haven't had a problem since then. I had a feeling it might be NSS because it sits on top of the tranny beneath the battery tray and it's probably prone to the effects of the engine heat.

Reply to
spd6104