00 S-10 does not start..ignition switch?

I have a 2000 S10 2.2 automatic that will not start. When you turn key, it does nothing. Dash turns on, lights, etc. I can hear starter fuse click, but appears to be no power to the starter.

I checked the fuses and they are ok. There is no engine code to scan.

My guess comes down to either ignition switch or the neutral saftey switch.

There have been a couple times in the past, when it did start, I would shift to drive and truck would not move, engine would just rev as it it was still in park.

Any ideas? Where is the neutral saftey switch on this? I have found the ignition switch.

Reply to
Diesel

Start with the basics. Your truck is 5 years old. Does it still have the original battery? If so, odds are that is the problem. It sounds like you are getting power to the starter solenoid, so therefore the neutral safety switch and the ignition switch are ok. I say this because you state you can hear the "starter fuse click", which in reality is the solenoid on the starter. Have you tried starting the truck with good, high quality jumper cables and a known good battery? SF

Reply to
sf/gf

The battery was replaced last year with a DieHard Gold. Actually, the battery was the first thing I looked at since it had been sitting for a while.

I charged it up to make sure it was ok. No change. I did try jump starting it today twice, but no change. (has no effect on symptoms) I also used a voltmeter to test voltage on battery, that is ok. I have looked through the 2 fuse boxes and appear to be ok. Are there any other fuses out there by themselves? I need to get a book. Yes, after 5 years things may need more TLC.

I did mention that there were times when you go from park to drive and engine would rev as if still in park. Only happened twice, but wonder if precursor to something going? Would there be something to make it think it is not in Park, thus not starting?

One thing I have not done is put voltmeter on the starter itself. terminal is covered with rubber post so was not sure how to test it without disconnecting power.

Reply to
Diesel

Life's too short. Change the fricking starter switch out. These things get chintzier every year. I've had them go out in 3-4 vehicles; the symptoms are usually so intermittent they will drive you nuts.

Heck with voltmeters; jumper it out. Turn the key >The battery was replaced last year with a DieHard Gold. Actually, the

Reply to
Larry A.

Have already switched out the starter relay. There are two others in the fuse box with same part # so swapped them around, but did not make a difference. Not sure if I can get a jumper cable down on backside of starter but could be wrong.

Reply to
Diesel

To much self induced confusion here.

Switch, thats the part the key operates.

Relay, the little square things in the fuse box

Solenoid, some times called a solenoid switch, the part on the starter the cables and wires hook to . and the part Larry is talking about. Wires hooked to two studs on this, the positive battery cable to the large stud, the smaller gets a wire from the ignition switch, via the neutral safety switch, This small wire should have 12 volts when the key is in the start position. If it does the problem is the solenoid, if it doesn't its up stream some where.

Quick check of three different supply houses resulted in no solenoids, just complete starter assy. GM may sell part.

As to the tranny issue, totally unrelated,

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Thanks! I understand now!

Think some of the confusion is because every web site I have visited, there is no mention of the solenoid because it is sold as one unit with the starter and never list as a part by itself. Slick way for repair shops to make money, which is why I am avoiding the dealer as it will probably cost $400 when I just need that single part and can swap out myself.

Reply to
Diesel