87 Camry - Strange starting problem

87 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder automatic

Four days back, I parked my car while the gear was in REVERSE and took out the key. (Many years back, I remember I would not be able to shut off the engine or take the keys out, if the gear was not in PARK mode).

When later I tried to start, putting it back in PARK, it would not start. No clicking sound at all when I turn the keys. Tried all options, it would not respond.

I was on a slight slope, so let the car roll a bit after putting in NEUTRAL. While still in NEUTRAL, I tried the ignition keys again, and voila .. it started !!

Yesterday, I made the same mistake again, i.e. shut of the engine and took the keys out while still in REVERSE mode. Tried to start the car, and again it would not start .. no sound, no clicks, nothing as I turn the keys. Again I tried the same solution .. changed to NEUTRAL, pushed the car and moved it a bit, and tried the ignition keys and it started again.

The battery is new, so that is not an issue. Alternator or Starter should also be fine, as I have no other starting problem.

Any ideas, tips on how to resolve this problem. I am just afraid this may happen again. Of course, I will try to make sure that I do not park unless the gear is in PARK mode :)

Reply to
techtrainer

and took

to shut

PARK

not

putting in

again, and

Sounds very much like the problem I had on my 87 Camry several years ago. Over several weeks, it got worse and worse until finally I couldn't start it at all. The ignition lock had to be replaced.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Thanks, Ken. Can you tell me how much (approximately) did this cost ?

Reply to
techtrainer

cost ?

Sorry, as I said it was several years ago, and I just don't remember.