94 camry paint peeling

My 1994 white Camry is losing its paint on the hood. You can see the paint cracking and chipping off all around the front and top of the hood. Nowhere else on the vehicle is this an issue. At first glance I considered it to be rock damage, but it's happening more and more and the little cracks are developing all over the hood now.

Alldata does not have a TSB on this

so it is probably not widespread. Does anyone else have this experience and what has been your solution?

Reply to
badgolferman

What color? Silvers and blues are most normally associated with the problem, but it sometimes happens to deep red colors too...

Really nothing you can do except have it stripped down and re-painted. :(

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

(908) 542-0244

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

White. Will touching it up slow it down in any way?

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Reply to
badgolferman

First, you have to make sure it is the Original Toyota paint.

Sometimes, cars get a paint job done, and since the surface was not prepared correctly, or the paint was not prepared appropriately, you get that kind of problems.

If in fact it is the Original Toyota paint, then you should go to a dealer, and inquire about any recalls that year's cars might have; I would do that.

--
EL FORY

"badgolferman"  wrote in message
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
FORY

Depends on whether the paint/prep is a problem or if it is something else like environment.

Are you in a salty or salt-spray area? If so, maybe. If not or at least something similar, probably not. My guess is that the metal was not properly prepped prior to painting. Was it repainted? Is there a recall?

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

(908) 542-0244

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Additional questions... Has the car overheated or ever had en engine fire? That can also cause damage that appears later.

Regardless, the best option (if there is no recall) is repaint IMHO.

Touch up might slow it down... Even spray paint that matches will help if the problem is wide spread enough to warrant such a cheap fix...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

(908) 542-0244

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

When was the last time a good coat of wax was applied?

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

It is the original paint. I will probably do that, but the AllData website does not indicate any widespread problems

Reply to
badgolferman

Probably a year or two by hand. It occassionaly gets the car wash variety. Why would the hood be cracking and peeling but not the rest of the car?

Reply to
badgolferman

The hood not only gets the heat of the sun from above but also gets the heat from the engine below. That is why the hood is usually the first to have paint problems.

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
David