94 camry strange brake behaviour

Hi, I was driving to work early morning today and I noticed something out of the world, the "brake" indicator suddenly light up and started applying brakes to my car, as if the car did not want me to go beyond

60 at that time. The same thing happens if I were to make turns at relatively high speeds. I haven't observerd this behaviour before and don't think this is normal. Has anyone seen this?

This is a 94 v6 LE Camry (1MZ-FE)

At first I thought that may be I had brake fluid level indicator go off when I make turns for the level is not at max, but not really min either. But closer to min. But I had my cruise on today and when this strange thing happened I was off the cruise.

Any hints to what this could be? I always use my parking breaks and last night was freezing. However, I was able to remove the parking break, when I left home in the morning , without any problems at all.

Any comments/suggestions?

TIA

-S

Reply to
bhides

Brakes dont apply themselves, only your forgetfull foot can apply the pressure needed to the master cilinder.

Reply to
m Ransley

snip

It sounds like you might have moisture in the brake fluid. Has the brake fluid ever been changed? If not, I'd suggest a complete flush/fill on the brake fluid and I wouldn't drive the car too much until you defianately figure out what it is and get it fixed. Your brakes are probably dragging all (or a lot) the time and are causing excess wear and heat which will damage hoses, seals and etc. in the bake system. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Reply to
mechosu

Thanks for your reply.

How difficult would it be to flusth the brake fluid from the system. Something I can do at home?

-S

Reply to
bhides

I think the brakes do come off, however, because I do not see a fall in the gas mileage. If the parking brakes were actually engaged, due to the snag in the cable, I would immediate see a fall in the gas mileage, would I not?

BTW how can I check for a snag in the parking break line? Something I can do at home?

Thanks,

-S

Reply to
bhides

Try replacing the flexible brake lines to the four wheels. They can collapse internally holding fluid pressure even when the brake pedal is released, but may still look OK on the outside.

Reply to
Daniel

If you know how to bleed brakes it would be easy. Making sure to keep master cylinder full, start with RR and bleed until you get fresh, new fluid from bleeder. Go to LR and repeat, then RF and finally LF. System should now be full of new fluid. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92