95 4cyl oil leak redux

Well, replaced distributor O-ring, valve cover gasket, and still have an oil slick on the back side of my engine block, looks like it's coming from

2 areas: near where the intake manifold attaches to the head (but there's no oil chambers there, right?), and on the rear (cyl #4)just below the distributor (but I fixed that, I hope). I'm fearing head gasket. Is there a rear cam seal? What's next most likely? Thanks Pros.
Reply to
camry-keeper

The cam-cover (rocker-cover) is not leaking?

There are no other shafts leaving the engine at that end.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Did you use RTV sealant in the places where it is required for the valve cover gasket? It shows these places in the Haynes manual.

Reply to
ROBMURR

I have a 95 4cyl camry with the exact same problem. I replaced the oil pan gasket thinking that as I drove, the air was blowing the oil up. I replaced the valve cover gasket but I didn't know about adding rtv. I'll try replacing the distributer seal. It leaks off the back of the engine onto the exhaust pipe... I probably lose 1/2 cup a day.

Reply to
rick315

Try cleaning the area. Lay down newspapers to absorb the overflow and spray the area with Berryman B-12 Chemtool carburetor cleaner solvent to rinse it clean down to bare metal. Run the engine long enough for leaks to develop and have another look from above and beneath with a shop light. Lift the car if needed, and reach up behind the engine with the light until you find the source. Most likely the valve cover gasket , but you should be able to see something leaking more clearly if you start with everything clean.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

After much troubleshooting, I think my oil leak is from the rear main seal. It's difficult to tell because, as it leaks, it gets spattered everywhere by the fly wheel (auto trans plate). I think, depending on the driving attitude, hills and turns, it drips onto the axle which flings it up behind the engine. The bad news is it cost $969 to for the shop to replace. I will first try an oil additive that is suppose to help seals.

Reply to
rick315

I had to have my rear main seal replaced on my 1990 V6 camry due to it leaking. From my independant mechanic it cost $450..Mine did not do any splattering, have you check everywhere else for a leak? Are you sure its not power steering fluid from the rack?

Reply to
ROBMURR

valve cover gasket or oil pressure switch

Reply to
toyotawiz