1987 Toyota Camry: where to place jack and jackstands?

I have a 1987 Toyota Camry LE gasoline engine 4-door. I need to know where to place the hydraulic jack and jack stands I have so that my vehicle is not damaged. I do not have the scissor jack that is issued with this vehicle. If I place the hydraulic jack and jack stands along the edge of the car, as is illustrated in the owner's manual, I will damage the flange of my car's underside. Where can I place my jack, and subsequently the jackstands, underneath my car? My Haynes Repair Manual tells me to "support my vehicle with jackstands," but of course, doesn't say where.

Reply to
Matthew D. Hunstiger

The problem with those flanges is that they are used to locate the jack head only. The actual lifting force is taken by the panel under those flanges. The toyota jack head is designed to slide in under those flanges.

There are (at least on my '96) 4 towing brackets (one at each corner of the body) which I use to floor-jack the vehicle up.

Use stands, apply the hand-brake, chock the wheels etc etc if you are getting under the car.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I generrally stick my floor jack where the frame splits off to the subframe (front of car) and place the jack stands under the 'frame rails'. You'll see a round bend in the frame where it is safe to jack. Same for the rear, near the spring.

Reply to
HachiRoku