97 LE transmission question

Does anybody know what the total fluid capacity is of both the transmission and differential? Seperately, that is.

I got 1.5 qts from the diff, 2.5 from the tranny.

thanks, mb

Reply to
MB

What year, total drain ?, plug drain on trans ?, Liters, quarts ?, Your manual tells all as usual.

Reply to
m Ransley

May I ask why? Sounds like the correct amount drained out - those are normal figures. The factory service manual lists fill amounts, but that is only when the transmission is completely disassembled for service or repair.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

The header said "97" The body said "qts".

The manual only lists drain amounts. I would like to know the total amounts.

mb

m Ransley wrote:

Reply to
MB

Cuz when I change the 2.5 in the tranny, I would like to know what percentage of the whole amount that is new. Say there's 5 qts total. Then I have 50% new. Another change, I'm at 75% new, and so forth..

Thanks, mb

"Daniel M. Dreifus" wrote:

Reply to
MB
4 cil or 6 cilinder, could be 4.9 - 5,1 qts
Reply to
m Ransley

The original post said LE. Thats a 4.

Oh, and it's a TOYOTA. You guys are messing with me, right?

mb

m Ransley wrote:

Reply to
MB

Should be 5.9 quarts (US).

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

God bless you.

mb

-------------

"Daniel M. Dreifus" wrote:

Reply to
MB

Thanks. You, too.

Here's another point to remember. If you're calculating the quantity of fluid replaced out the total when draining, you need to remember that the next time you drain the transmission you're also taking out a portion of the fluid you added previously. I thought about this when progressively switching over to synthetic ATF. Perhaps:

2.5 qts. divided by 5.9 qts. is roughly 42%, so when you refill you've got around 40% new fluid. Next drain interval, (if I'm figuring this correctly) you're taking out 40% of the new fluid you added previously, so you're losing 1 qt. of the 2.5 you had added earlier, and so on.
Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Ow. Crap. Now my head hurts.

Reply to
Chicken

Yep yep, 42%, then 67%, then 81%, then 89%. I think. Something like that anyways.

Thanks, mb

"Daniel M. Dreifus" wrote:

Reply to
MB

That still strikes me as very funny.

To simplify the calculation, just track how many quarts of new fluid are being added. If you add 2.5, then drain 40% (1 qt.) that leaves 1.5 qts., plus then you're adding another 2.5 fresh fluid, so you're up to 4 qts. Next time you lose 40% of 4 qts., so you're left with 2.4 qts. new, plus then you're adding 2.5 so that brings it up to 4.9 replaced. From there, you should be able to continue the calculation, or just figure after the third or fourth time you've got most all of it.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus