Replace EGR valve in '98 Camry?

My EGR valve is bad according to a diagnostic test I had a autoshop run yesterday. I need to replace it.

If I were to buy one, is this an easy thing to replace on a 1998 Camry LE V6? Or should I get a mechanic to do it?

No, I'm not terribly handy, but if its obvious, I certainly don't want to pay someone.

Thanks. Bob

Reply to
Rob

=========== Try cleaning the passageway to the EGR valve first. This is a common mode of failure - they can get plugged up with carbon, and in that event, just replacing the valve would not solve the problem. The EGR valve itself is not particularly hard to reach on the 4 cylinder, but I would imagine it is that much more difficult on the six. Just held on by a couple of bolts, but they're likely to need penetrant because they get hot and could corrode like fasteners on the exhaust system. After all, the EGR does "reciculate exhaust gas." There is probably also an exhaust gas temperature sensor wire to disconnect. Not difficult, but not among the simplest of repairs either. Removing the passageway to the EGR valve (that carries the exhaust gas) looked more difficult to access. When I changed the O ring on the distributor and had it removed, the access looked a lot better, but your '98 may not have a distributor, so I don't know how easy a time you would have removing it. The alternate is just to clear the passage way with a stiff wire, cover the opening with a cloth, and then start the engine briefly to blow out the soot.

Reply to
Daniel

Thank you!

Robert