'98 Camry Oil change rant

Just thought I would vent a little...
Why the @#*&&(#!@ did Toyota mount the oil filter horizontally instead of vertically?
I just did an oil change on my '98 Camry V6 and even with careful arrangement of newspaper and so on, oil still spilled when the filter was removed/replaced.
Oil changes are always messy but this is even more annoying.
Anyway, my rant for the day.
V.
In did Toyota mount the oil filter horizontally

The current generation Camrys (both 4 and V6) supposedly have a new aluminum adaptor that repositions the filter so the threaded end faces UP ... preventing overnight drainage. I personally have not scooted under an new Camry to verify this.
--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM

Try letting it drain longer next time. Don't know about the six cylinder, but on the four, after about half an hour, filter can be removed without spilling oil. Once tried removing the oil filter within a few minutes of shutting off the engine - will never do that again, way too messy. While you're letting it drain longer, if you 're doing your own oil changes, try letting it sit overnight. New oil will stay noticeably cleaner, longer.
Hi Daniel,
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Well, I let it sit for over an hour and the drip rate was something like a drop every 4 seconds.
Thanks for the suggestion, maybe I'll try four hours next time :).
Vince.

The six cylinder engine must be different. I never get even one drop of oil leaking out of the oil filter when I change mine. I've seen others suggest poking a hole in the oil filer canister with a screwdriver to help it empty while the oil's draining.
My 99 oil filter is also vertical.........upside down. That makes a lot of sense. Then everything can drain back into engine.