'99 Camry engages "D" harshly

Hi all, I have a '99 Camry LE V6 automatic with about 70K miles. Transmission serviced regularly. Fluid level is fine. My car has always shifted from park into drive very smoothly, but recently has begun to "slam" (harsh engagement with a lurch of the car)noticeably when shifting from park into drive, or from reverse into drive. It is more pronounced when the car is started cold, with the warmup idle being around 1500-1600 RPM before engagement, but it still "slams" to a lesser extent even when the engine is warm and idle is ~800 RPM. It may not be related, but also recently (with the engine warm, idling and the car in park) the engine RPM began to fluctuate between 600 and 800 RPM once every 2 seconds for a little while (no A/C on, BTW). Never done that before, IIRC. Not really worried about that, but the "slamming" effect can't be too good for the drivetrain.

Any ideas for a DIYer?

Thanks!

Reply to
default