99 camry fails to start

The problem started to happen few days ago. Turning a ignition key frequently fails to start even the starter. Once the starter kicks in then, the engine starts without problem. The battery seems fine. What could cause the problem like this ? This started to happen after I have the car serviced for front brake. I think that is just a coincident, but just in case. I had never had any problem with this car for last 5 years since I bought it. TIA

Reply to
yk

My mother's '99 Camry (6 cylinder) is having the same problem. I have not had a chance to investigate the problem.

Reply to
Clay

Try cleaning battery terminals.

Reply to
bigrog_98

Try cleaning battery terminals.

Reply to
bigrog_98

Charging system and battery all check out. The battery connnections and terminals are clean.

Reply to
Clay

Are the cables connecting to starter in good condition. I had a problem a few years ago with a frayed cable. you might need a new starter motor.

Reply to
bigrog_98

Are the cables connecting to starter in good condition. I had a problem a few years ago with a frayed cable. you might need a new starter motor.

Reply to
bigrog_98

My camry is the same. The battery is very clean and no problem.

Reply to
yk

I had the same kind of cold-start problem with my 97 Camry. When I'd take it to the shop, they'd have it warm and have no problem starting it. Then I'd get a $50 bill with the famous "cannot verify concern" crap. Put up with the problem until one morning it wouldn't turn over at all, so I went to the see the mechanic on the back of a tow truck. He could finally diagnose the problem and charged me $50 again, on top of the $289 to replace the starter. Needless to say, he's not my mechanic anymore.

Reply to
<psommerhalder

Reply to
cmuller

It is most likely the starter solenoid. When you turn the switch to start you are actually activating a solenoid that in turn energizes the starter. If the solenoid plunger binds, or if the contact in the solenid is dirty or worn, the solenoid can fail to energize the starter. A remanufacturered starter is probably in the $160 to $200 range at a parts store. Figure about

1 hour labor to install. An independent garage should be able to do the job for $200 to $250. If you are handy, you could do it yourself. In fact you might even disassemble the starter and see if cleaning the solenoid will fix things. You are lucky, these days Toyota parts are fairly common. The last time I needed a Toyota starter, the only source was the dealer and the part was $500. Fortunately a local rebuilder helped me out with the parts to fix mine (just a contact in the solenoid was burned).

Ed

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Kindly post the solution or result of your action to rectify this problem.

Reply to
bigrog_98

I thought it may be the starter solenoid but have not had time to disassemble it to find out. Guess I should loan my mother my car for a day. The more I think about it, I bet it is the solenoid. Thanks Ed.

Reply to
Clay

Worth a look.....

FWIW YMMV DFB

Reply to
MisterSkippy

Hi all, Thank you all for the information. I ended up taking my car to Toyota dealer. They found a problem at starter connector, fuselink and starter motor. Total repair cost was close to $700 not including towing. They charged $100 ($10 for parts) to replace a fuselink. Amazing.

Reply to
yk

It was the selonoid. The link Mister Skippy provided is right on the money. Thanks Mister Skippy. It took me less than an hour to do a tempoary fix. Our Toyota dealer did not have the part in stock but should have it on Tuesday. The part is only $6.34.

Reply to
Clay

Changed oil in my mother's '99 Camry yesterday and also changed the bad contacter in the solenoid. It took me a total of 35 minutes to remove, repair and re-install the starter solenoid. This is a very easy repair. My mother is very happy and she did not have to pay a dealer an over inflated repair bill.

Reply to
Clay

You're to be congratulated for taking care of your Mom as Mom's are special people. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92