99 camry fuel door does not pop open

apparently a little part popped off, where and how difficult is this repair, as my wife had to ask a stranger to pop it when she flipped the open lever.

Reply to
allan

Perhaps the hinge just needs some oil. I've seen this problem; the opening spring is not very strong.

John

Reply to
John Briggs

Had the same problem on my 99. Didn't check with the dealer for their fix or new parts so I don't know about costs or options. I found an old light weight spring from my junk collecting days (about 1"in dia. and 1 1/2" long, light gauge wire)and fastened it to the gas door, works perfectly. Home Depot should have something close. It is a little ugly but is behind the door so I don't care. Free fix and works great. Hope this helps.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

John Briggs wrote: || On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:09:39 -0600, allan wrote: || ||| apparently a little part popped off, where and how difficult is this ||| repair, as my wife had to ask a stranger to pop it when she flipped ||| the open lever. || || Perhaps the hinge just needs some oil. I've seen this problem; the || opening spring is not very strong. || || John

The little spring behind the button which pops up when the door is opened is also very weak. Without it popping up, you can't lock the fuel door.

Reply to
SHARX

My 99 did the same thing last year. The little plastic spring (looks like metal) breaks. It costs about $2 from Toyota and about a minute to replace by yourself - after figuring out how it fits back on.

Reply to
Orv