99 camry - strange idling behavior

Finally got a new used car (found it from carsdirect.com; bought it from a dealership). Will have the engine thoroughly inspected by a mechanic tomorrow.

When the engine is cold, it revs up to 2000 rpm, then falls down to say

1300 rpm, then 10 seconds later, revs up to a little less than 2000 rpm (1800 rpm, say) then falls down to a little less than 1300 rpm (1200 rpm, say). Kept doing this until the "low" rpm reading was about 1000 rpm, but only kept the engine on for about a minute - we were waiting for a friend. (The heater was on full blast, by the way.)

Is this normal? I never noticed this on my '96 camry, or on my parents' 2001 camry.

Reply to
onehappymadman

same thing happenes to me too. but i have noticed that if the engine is warm and then you turn on the car it stay below 1000rpm and doesnt rev up like it does when turned on cold. i dont know why it happens but would love to know if someone has an explaination. by the way i also have 99 camry.

Reply to
learnfpga

No. It's not normal for any car. Did you ever get this problem solved? Or did it resolve itself through normal idle learning? It may be a sticky idle air control (IAC) valve if it's still doing this. Do a search on how to clean the IAC.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

I think it's resolved... whether through normal idle learning or through my use of solvents. At least it doesn't go up and down anymore.

But, my cold idle RPMs are about 1800. Is this normal? My '96 camry has a cold idle of about 1200 rpm.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
onehappymadman