a question

Sorry I am not sure whether this question is proper here...

I backed up my car in a parking lot and it hit the rain pipe outside the building of an auto shop when I purchased and installed four tires there. it's not serious: The pipe got deformed at the lower end but not clogged and I think it still works. I have a liability insurance which I think can pay for this kind of "Property Damage" thing, but I don't know whether they will increase the deductibles next time for this kind of "accident". Anyone can give an opinion about how serious this case is in the eyes of the insurance company? which is a better way to resolve this: i handle it or just let the shop owner go to my insurance company? Thanks a lot!

Zhi

Reply to
zhi

Maybe have the property owner give you a couple of estimates...? The labor for demolishing the concrete to repair the pipe might make you think twice about paying for it out-of-pocket.

Just my $0.02

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Under $1,500 or so, take care of it yourself. Not worth the hit on your insurance record. Between $1,500K to $2,000, sorta of a wash. After $2,000 go with insurance.

DON'T ask your insurance company about it. If you already have, you might as well claim it, but nowadays they treat an inquiry, even if you make no claim, like a claim.

Reply to
timbirr

I have given them my insurance information, and have told them to give me the estimate before they repair it, so that I can decide whether to handle it myself or not. However, today I talked with the shop owner and he seemed to be thinking about using this opportunity to renovate his whole building!

I don't know how much my insurance will increase to if they make the claim (say, $500). Is it worth to pay money under $1500 compared with the insurance fee increase? Sorry I don't know much about how these insurance companies work.

Thanks!

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Reply to
zhi

If this is your first and only claim on your policy, I'd let the insurance company handle it. They May or May Not increase your premium, but even if they do, it's likely that the increase will be a lot smaller than if you have to pay for the repair yourself. and the way the owner is acting, wanting to rebuild his structure because of a little bend in the pipe, I'd let the insurance carrier know that he's liable to inflate his claim for the damage. Go with the insurance... isn't that why you HAVE insurance?

Reply to
mack

I agree.

Last winter, I had (my first) homeowners insurance claim - I installed a toilet incorrectly, and ended up with 1-2 inches of (clean) water flooding the whole house (woke up at 4am to the sound of water gushing from the bathroom). All carpet had to be removed and replaced, at a cost of about $4,000.

My friends said "don't involve the insurance company". I decided to take a chance, and had the insurance take care of it. Glad I did. The premium didn't seem to rise much, but then again, they sent me the premium bill while the claim was still open, maybe it wasn't reflected yet...

Good luck,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett