Adding a filter to my 94 V6 power steering

Hi all,

I've often wondered if this was worth doing. I had a Tarago for many years and wondered about it then too.

Have I had the 94 Camry too long now to bother with a filter on the power steering?

Now Phil, flame me if you like, but I would be very interested in your opinion on this.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

My 1984 Mercedes 380SEL had a replaceable pleated paper filter in the power steering reservoir. More than thinking about adding one to my 1994 Camry LE, alerted me to the importance of keeping the fluid clean by changing it regularly. The Mercedes had a recirculating ball type steering. The Toyota has rack and pinion. Could be with fewer moving parts, there is less mechanical wear. Seems the primary concern with Toyota is leaking seals. I would never invite Phil to flame me, but that's why I've been using the Lucas power steering fix as preventative maintenance, mixed with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. I know Phil's (strong) preference is for power steering fluid, but even with his explanations about factory fill and expediency, I prefer to stay with the specified fluid designation per Toyota service literature. Just my opinion. He may be right. Makes sense you don't need friction modifiers in power steering.

Reply to
Daniel

It's a loving benevolent warmth I deliver. I've cremated the few and the deserving. >;^)

But let me point out your own admissions. You "...prefer to stay with the specified fluid designation per Toyota service literature." *while* "...using the Lucas power steering fix as preventative maintenance, mixed with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF".

Now ...

1) Toyota does not use Dexron III fluid for OEM fill

2) Toyota does not recommend synthetic ATF

3) Toyota does not recommend any additives in the steering system.

4) Hell ... Toyota does not schedule power steering fluid changes at all.

--

    - Philip
Reply to

Often read about power steering pump and rack replacements - costly. So far, so good. Obviously the owner's manual and factory service guide do not say "We use BG power steering fluid, but you can substitute ATF because it is easier to find." They just call for Dexron. in my older book, I think it's Dexron II. Synthetic is fully compatible as is the Lucas. Not one drop from the steering gear or pump so far, and when I began this regimen the steering response improved for quick motions at low speed. Works for me. However, I also make sure the tires are moving when turning the wheel. Don't believe I ever hold the car stationary with the brakes and crank over the steering wheel to full lock while the pump whines in complaint.

Reply to
Daniel

Yeah,..the mechanic at work used to go ballistic if he saw anyone wrenching a vehicle to full-lock while stationary,...but, lets face it, its often needed in those situations when some idiot parks you in. Altho a transfer case ( select LOW) and a bull-bar would be better!

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

If you only go against the stop very lightly then there is little chance of mechanical damage. If you force the steering wheel against the stop you aren't moving the wheels any farther than you were with the very light touch against the stop but are increasing the pressure in the P.S. system, sometimes to the point of damage. So, you aren't gaining any decrease in turning radiuus but are damaging components in the P.S. system. The least damaging is a slipping belt which you can hear as a squeeling noise. This wears belts and pullies prematurely. The damage you don't hear or see is internal components in the high pressure system, ie: pump, valves, hoses and etc. Sometimes you can hear a roar from the pump, especially right before it fails. Your mechanic is right in not wanting you to do this. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

of

touch

and

it

Good point about trying to push past the stops,...I notice on cars which were originally released as unassisted recirculating ball-steering often had no beefing up of the idler-arm when switched to power-steering boxes. These idler arms then started to fail at much shorter intervals as drivers used the PS more often in parking manouvers ( lock to lock).

The Ford Falcon and Chrysler Valiant with PS used to go thru idlers like crazy,..tierod ends and B/joints seemed unaffected by comparison.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Right, I forgot about the extra force on the swivel joints. If the steering is against a stop the the extra pressure will flex these parts more than they are designed for and as you state if they are under-designed then that contribute even more to failure. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Hi I added a power steering filter to the return (low pressure side) of my girlfriends 82 Toyota Cressida. I bought it at Allied auto parts in Pasadena. It was 20 bucks and was very big. The pepboys guy didn't carry it. I bought more 3/8 fuel hose and some clamps and put it in the return line to the reservoir. She had a whining noise before I put on the filter and after the noise was gone. I'm assuming there were some metal pieces and also the power steering pump probably generates some plastic pieces, so it there is no filter then they will circulate and wear your system right? Her power steering seemed to get alittle weaker though, but I think it is a good maitenance thing because how do you get all particles out of steering oil. Pepboys guy said not to use a fuel filter because it will clog too fast and blow out hoses.

Reply to
edmechanic