Air fuel ration sensor failures

02 Camry SE V6 - Check engine light came on. Dealer diagnosis - two failed air fuel ratio sensors.

Anyone know if it unusual for two to fail simultaneously ?

Vehicle is off warranty but dealer has offered to pay 60% of the estimated $1,000 replacement cost.

Reply to
Spectri

That is pretty interesting... how did they come to that conclusion?

Reply to
qslim

those sensors cost $150 each max

Reply to
Rog

I suppose I should take them to task on that. I assumed they plugged in and read the codes which brought the Check Engine light on. ==================================

conclusion?

Reply to
Spectri

Actually, Rog, air fuel ratio sensors (as opposed to oxygen sensors) from the dealer can cost well into the mid $200 range. But a grand still sounds steep.

Reply to
qslim

Hmmm. May be the case I suppose, though I've never seen it. And by the way, how in the world did they come up with a grand to replace the AF sensors?

Reply to
qslim

Run away! Get the codes checked at an autoparts store, bet its nothing as serious as 2 failed sensors! Wow, they got them priced way too high!

Reply to
ROBMURR

Qslim, how are they different? I haven't had a chance to see one yet. Do they replace O2 sensors or complement them?

Reply to
Rog

Reply to
Philip

Rog, AF sensors replace o2 sensors. The benefit is that they can give a more specific feedback on the degree of the current rich/lean condition of the engine. In other words, an o2 sensor will tell the system if the engine is rich or lean, but not by how much. With an AF, the system can now tell just how rich or lean the system is operating, so it can better compensate (i.e. be more efficient). The other wacky thing is that they can only be read via a scantool with the appropriate software, you can't measure their output directly like an O2 sensor. And, guess what; Toyota gets to charge you a whole lot more for 'em!

Reply to
qslim

O2 sensors have been relegated to a position AFTER the catalyst to keep track of catalyst efficiency. When the catalyst is determined to have lost 'x' efficiency over time, the MIL lite goes ON.

--

   ~Philip.
Reply to

I bought brand new Toyota Camry XLE 2005 on 12/08/2004. And I put 1500 miles on it. My Air Ratio Sensor is failed yesterday (01/24/2004).

Brand new vehicle, and air ratio sensor is not working. What kind of car is this?

Part cost $219.00 dollars Labor cost $300.00 dollars

Toyota Camry Sucks.

Reply to
mumo

Not even a good try, troll. A 2005 would be under warranty and you wouldn't be out any expense. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92