anyone else have excessive tire wear on avalon?

Have owned this Avalon since new in 1999. Just had to buy 3rd set of tires for it. We have 70,000 miles on this vehicle which is otherwise terrific to drive & maintain but tire wear on it has been excessive in my opinion. These are not cheapo generics either but Michelens. Alignments have also been done to no avail. Anyone else out there with similiar experience? Just curious.

Reply to
doncee

My 2001 eats tires too. Just one more reason I am done with Toyotas. The Avalon is my 4th and last Toyota. It is basically a cheap suspension system that doesn't keep the whole tire on the road so the tires do not last.

Reply to
Art

You must have a suspension system problem if many alignments don't solve the problem. Michelins are excellent, long lasting tires and many last over 80,000 miles easily (such as the Energy Plus series). You got problems with that car. Then again, Avalons seem to have a lot of problems anyways.

Reply to
johngdole

I more or less agree based on three sets of Michelins and Goodyears on my 99 Camry V6 at 77K. It will need a 4th set this fall at the latest. It is driven fairly gently by my retired wife. My Nissan does substantially better for unknown reasons.

Reply to
Orv

My '96 Camry 4 is much heavier on the fronts than the rears which is to be expected. To get max life you need to run 32 psi which I find a little hard on the ride and bump feedaback into the car, so I run 28 psi.

A set of medium priced tires last about 25,000 miles. The shoulders wear out first. For a car weighing 1.35T with front-wheel drive, thats what I'd expect.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

"Jason James" wrote in news:42ebcaf8$ snipped-for-privacy@news.comindico.com.au:

Have also kept pressures @ 32 psi & yes the ride does suffer somewhat but am just amazed at how fast the tread on these tires wear out. Have never experienced this before on any of a number Toyotas have owned including 4runner & tacoma truck which are also pretty heavy vehicles. Can remember back in the 60's having tires wear out quikly on the huge cumbersome vehicles that were prevelant in those days. Also the tires were really junky & unreliable to begin with. Have not had this problem in the last 20+ years however. Just the nature of the beast as best I can tell. dc

Reply to
doncee

I think it is due to body flex and crappy suspension. 500 Avalon's were recalled because of poor welds in the subframe that holds the engine. If the body is that borderline, no wonder it is problematic.

Reply to
Art