Are OEM pads *really* necesarry?

A friend and I are about to change the front pads on my '99 Camry V6. He's the mechanic, I'm the helper. He owns and maintains his own 2000 Toyota Tacoma, and says any decent semi-metalic pads should work fine. I mentioned that I'd read non-OEM pads squealed IIRC. What's the story?

Are OEM really necesarry, or is this just an urban myth created by Toyota?

Thanks,

Norm

Reply to
Father Guido

== imho, if you want the best results, use original parts.

Original equipment is ceramic. Be sure to clean and grease the slide pins when you replace the pads to promote even wear. Always used Toyota parts, never had squeaks, so I don't know about aftermarket but heard the same as you. The Toyota pads have anti squeal shims that receive grease on the back. I used synthetic high temperature brake caliper grease. I believe the Toyota pads include the grease, but recommend to get a small tube for the slide pins.

Reply to
Daniel

Dad and I have always used the cheap ProStop pads from Pep Boys. Might need to change the pads a little more often, but they work fine. (I'm still alive... ;-)

I'd probably pay a bit more for rotors (get the good stuff), though.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Trucks are different. Semi-metallic are needed for better safety in load carrying. Camrys use ceramics, like most sedans produced today. Ceramics have light dust and last very long, but typical ceramics aren't good for heavy towing.

OEM pads are not necessary. In fact, I steer away from OEM because of a chance of picking up a batch of NBK pads (pad markings NBK xxx-xxx FF). NBKs glaze and fade much more easily than the excellent Akebono ceramics (pad markings AK xxx-xxx FF).

In my typical driving the Akebono ceramics are as fade resistant as semi-metallics and last 2-4x as long, and Camrys came with ceramics.

IMO, if the dealer gives you Akebonoes with the 20% off coupon, take them. If NBKs, just walk away. Or you can order Akebonos w/ shims like I do on rockauto.com ($42.79 + shipping), local Kragen, Advance Auto, Murrays, Checkers, etc.

Akebono ceramics are very quiet. In fact, I didn't even use the stick- on shims. And they are still quiet with the $20 Raybestos Raymold noise dampening rotors. While at it pick up a few $1 5ml packs of Permatex synthetic gel brake lube. Good stuff. Also consider flushing the system with Valvoline Syntech Dot 3/4 fluid or Castrol GT LMA (Low Moisture Activity).

Reply to
johngdole

Pep Boys also carries the Raybestos Raymold line (or "Red box") of rotors, which is about 1/3-1/2 of the cost of Raybestos' PG+ line of Vehicle-Specific Metallurgy (VSM) rotors. The VSM rotors are very good also, but for me I would say the performance difference is negligible, and I can get 2 Raymolds for the price of 1 VSM. Good deal.

Do try the Akebono ProAct ceramics. In typical flat terrain should last 60-80K+ miles. Good stuff.

johngdole

As much myth as anything else. Buy good or top quality aftermarket pads and install them correctly. You shouldn't have any problems.

A lot of the advice you may get about using only dealerships, OEM parts, etc comes from people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Reply to
<HLS

Thanks everyone for your comments. In the end I bought the OEM ones from the dealer. When I do the back disc pads in the fall I will look around for plain old good pads.

BTW, Akebono pads in Canada are about 50% more than OEM.

Thanks again,

Norm

Reply to
Father Guido