Bosch PLATINUM+4

Anyone have experience using these plugs in Camrys? They're pre-gapped, 4 electrodes instead of one, 4 times the platinum of a normal plug - sounds pretty good to me, how do they stack up against the Denso, or what would you recommend?

Mine is a 94 Camry LE 4 Cyl - over 200K on it.

Also interested on opinions on using full synthetic motor oil and weight, thanks!

___________________ Spammers Persecuted

Reply to
Huang Chung

The Bosch don't measure up to the Denso or other Toyota OEM plugs.

Not sure I would switch to a full synthetic at 200,000 miles (or kilometers). Try a synthetic blend 10W-30 or 10W-40.

Reply to
Mark A

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Huang Chung being of bellicose mind posted:

I tried a set in my ol 1990 Geo Prizm. When new, the firing voltages were in the 7-9kv range. Next time I put the car on a scope, the plugs had 15k miles on them. All firing voltages were 30kv +/- 3kv. That's a lot of change and there was detectable, sporadic misfiring during warm-up.

No fuel mileage increase or any other driving improvement noted from their installation.

Spend your money on platinum tipped conventional sparkers.

As for synthetic oil, again, I ran Mobil1 in the Prizm from 10k miles until I sold it with 285k on the odometer. Oil consumption was a bit better than 3k miles per quart of 10w-30 wt. Engine was clean as a whistle inside (4-5k mile oil change intervals). I'm also running Mobil1 10w-30 in my 2003 Corolla. This car currently has 36k miles on it and uses almost no oil between oil changes (5k mile intervals).

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

SNIP

When I bought my 93 Camry, used, last year, I flushed the engine and put synthetic oil in the engine at 238,000 kilometers. It runs great. Mileage is irrelevant. Provided the engine is in good condition.

JP

Reply to
JP

why do the voltages go up? Is that because the wear on the plugs requires the computer to increase the voltage to bridge the (increased) gap?

Reply to
Lance

In news:Ksz_b.124664$ snipped-for-privacy@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com, Lance being of bellicose mind posted:

(Lance)

Firing voltage is STRICLY a function of resistance across the gap. Four things increase required firing voltage:

1) Larger gap 2) Rounded electrodes (more votage required for electrons to push off a rounded surface) 3) Greater air presure within the cylinder. 4) A drier fuel mixture (ie, comparing gasoline to LPG, all else being equal).
--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

the computer must be sending the signal for the higher voltage in your second measurement in order to compensate for the increased resistance (increased gap, rounded electrode etc etc) that is limiting the current.

voltage does not change for this gap unless it is changed at the source. am i correct?

Reply to
Lance

The voltage goes up because of physics. A higher voltage is required for a electrical circuit to bridge across a larger gap. When the primary voltage in a coil "collapses", the energy generated in (transferred to is probably a better term) the secondary windings has to go somewhere. The voltage builds in the secondary winding until the energy can be dissipated. As long as the secondary insulation is in good shape, the voltage builds until it can bridge the spark plug gap. A larger gap requires a higher voltage for the circuit to bridge the gap (all other things being equal). If the gap is too large, the voltage may build to the point that the circuit is completed through some other component (i.e., through the wire insulation, or arcing inside the distributor, or by arcing inside the coil).