Do valves get tighter with mileage??

94 Camry V6. I'm wondering if the valve clearances get tighter or looser with mileage. I'm getting ready to replace the valve cover gaskets and check clearances at 115k miles. Do the spark plug tube seals need to be replaced too? Do they come with the gasket package? Anything else I should do while I'm wading around in all that sludge :-) ? I also intend to replace the plugs and thermostat while they're easy to get to.

TIA Jim

Reply to
Jim

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Jim being of bellicose mind posted:

Think about it.

IF there is valve face and/or valve seat "erosion" ... then the valve lash will decrease. On the other hand, If no meaningful valve face or seat erosion occures ... BUT ... some cam bearing wear occurs, then the valve lash will increase (the cam has moved away from the valves). Then you have the remote possibility of cam lobe and/or valve shim wear which would increase valve lash.

Toyota's shimmed valve trains are very stabil. A case in point was my 1990 Prizm (4AFE engine). ALL the valves stayed with in tolerance for the 285k miles I owned the car. Remember too .... where I mentioned earlier about cam bearing and cam lobe wear .... a history of clean oil will improve the life span of both.

Reply to
Philip®