NGK Plugs

I have heard nothing but good things about NGK plugs and it is time to replace the plugs in my Y2K Outback. NGK seems to make several lines including V-Power, Platinum and Iridium. Any recommendations?

Jack

Reply to
Jack

I know that the V powerwere the ones recommened for my vehicle. Platinum were not recommended as they run very hot.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I've had NGK platinum in my 96 Brighton for more than 2 years with no problem (that I know of at least...). Will try iridium next change. Just my experience. Gilles

Reply to
Gilles Gour

I've used NGK plugs for a long time -- On my race bike i use the iridium -- I noticed a MARKED improvement at higher RPM's (11-13,000) I think they're worth the extra $ if you need more reliability.... not sure about it otherwise.

Note: Years back (I mean years....) I worked at ford aerospace in palo alto, ca. They had a race car & developed the "rapid fire" (where the center electrode has kind of "notches" in it.

They did a comparision of that vs.. multi electrode, 'splitfire' and platnum plugs -- the "rapid fire" outperformed them in "race" conditions, but the platinum lasted longer in street applications.

Reply to
Josh Assing

I know it's a cliché, but "read the freaking manual".

Subaru specs NGKs (and some Champions) as their factory plugs. Some engines come with standard plugs (likely V-Power). Others are spec'ed for their platinum or iridium plugs. The part number you need will be in your owners manual. Stick with that one, don't spend more than you need to, and have fun driving.

Reply to
y_p_w

I have installed some NGK Iridium IX (NGK-BKR6EIX-11) on my 2000 Impreza

2.2L and I have noticed an improvement with the engine response and the fuel milleage.

The fuel milleage improvement alone paid for the plugs that summer (a did ALOT of milleage that summer)

I also changed the oil for Full Synthetic and I had the transmission and differential changed to full synthetic as well.

This summer, because of an unrelated problem, I changed my plugs back to normal V-Power (and an ECU reset) and I noticed that their performance was not as good as the Iridium plugs. After changing back to Iridium plugs, the performance started to improve again.

There is no doubts in my mind that the Iridium plugs and the syntheric oil are an improvement for my Subie. I AM GLAD I DID NOT STICK TO THE USER'S MANUAL RECOMMENDATIONS

The only down side to that story is that the V-Power plugs do not fit my lawnmower

Charles Leblanc

2000 Impreza wagon 2.2L man
Reply to
Charlez

Be careful of what you call "full synthetic". A lot of the oil makers are playing marketing games right now.

I'd say the ECU reset was like the important factor. I had some intial performance issues after I pulled the battery to change the left headlight in my 2004 WRX.

These things have been dyno tested, and it's been generally shown that platinums/iridiums almost never result in any performance benefit. Certainly they have their uses, but they're no magic bullet.

I'm highly skeptical. Unless the plugs are wearing down prematurely, there should be no performance or fuel economy benefit to any platinum or iridium plug if a standard plug is specified. There's nothing magical about platinum or iridium plugs. Some engines are designed around their ability to withstand higher temperatures while others spec them because they last longer for so-called 100,000 mile tuneups. Also - it can be a pain to remove the back plugs in some V-8/V-6 cars.

Reply to
y_p_w

That's the case w/ my V-6 Camry: platinum plugs are spec'ed so you only have to go thru the pain of getting to the rear bank every 60k miles instead of 30k or so on the four cylinders. OTOH, my Subie has gone >40k on standard NGKs a coupla times with no noticeable performance loss. Personally, I've always found that sticking with whatever came in the engine (regular, platinum, etc.) is ~usually~ a fine choice, particularly if NGKs were factory installed.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

My previous car was a '95 Acura Integra GS-R. The manufacturer spec'ed double plats from ND (now Denso) or NGK, although the factory-installed plugs were ND. I pulled them out after 70K miles (the recommended change period was 60K) and they were perfectly gapped and the platinum points were clean. However - there were claims that the engine would have probably melted away standard plugs. It had a rather long

1.3mm gap and likely ran hot.

If the plugs are easy enough to reach (inline 4 or 6), there's no particular reason why platinum/iridium plugs would be a benefit unless the engine is designed around them. Get the proper tools, and change them every 15K miles. Learn how to "read" the plugs when you remove them.

Also - I just looked at the Denso website, and I'm a bit dismayed that they're making grandiose claims about the performance and fuel economy benefits of their Iridium plugs. I realize that there can be gains in performance for tuners modifying with forced induction and using aftermarket ignitions, but bone stock? OTOH - respected companies such as Sylvania are making silly claims about their "Silverstar" headlight bulbs being the "brightest" when they're known to produce less light.

Reply to
y_p_w

"y_p_w1" wrote: > Rick Courtright wrote: > > > y_p_w wrote: > > > > >  >>around their ability to withstand higher temperatures > while others >  >>spec them because they last longer for so-called > 100,000 mile tuneups. >  >>Also - it can be a pain to remove the back plugs in > some V-8/V-6 > > > > > > That's the case w/ my V-6 Camry: platinum plugs are spec'ed > so you only > > have to go thru the pain of getting to the rear bank every > 60k miles > > instead of 30k or so on the four cylinders. OTOH, my Subie > has gone >40k > > on standard NGKs a coupla times with no noticeable > performance loss. > > Personally, I've always found that sticking with whatever > came in the > > engine (regular, platinum, etc.) is ~usually~ a fine choice, > > particularly if NGKs were factory installed. > > My previous car was a '95 Acura Integra GS-R. The > manufacturer spec'ed > double plats from ND (now Denso) or NGK, although the > factory-installed > plugs were ND. I pulled them out after 70K miles (the > recommended > change period was 60K) and they were perfectly gapped and the > platinum > points were clean. However - there were claims that the > engine > would have probably melted away standard plugs. It had a > rather long > 1.3mm gap and likely ran hot. > > If the plugs are easy enough to reach (inline 4 or 6), there's > no > particular reason why platinum/iridium plugs would be a > benefit > unless the engine is designed around them. Get the proper > tools, > and change them every 15K miles. Learn how to "read" the > plugs > when you remove them. > > Also - I just looked at the Denso website, and I'm a bit > dismayed that > they're making grandiose claims about the performance and fuel > economy > benefits of their Iridium plugs. I realize that there can be > gains > in performance for tuners modifying with forced induction and > using > aftermarket ignitions, but bone stock? OTOH - respected > companies > such as Sylvania are making silly claims about their > "Silverstar" > headlight bulbs being the "brightest" when they're known to > produce > less light.

In regards to the different ngk plugs:

Platinum is stronger than copper, Iridium is stronger than platinum. With each metal improvement, you?ll pay more, but also will get better performance, and hopefully better gas mileage.

In regards to the dyno testing, fast fords and power mustangs ran a dyno test on the iridium plugs, dont remember if they ran the denso iridiums or ngk iridiums, but anywho, sparkplugs.com has a pdf of the results on their site. when you are looking at the part specs(after using the make/model/year lookup, mouse-over the part#, and the specs are displayed), click on iridium, and it takes you to another page with a link to the pdf.

Reply to
plugmaster

Sure platinum is tougher than copper. However - no plug would use copper as an electrode. Standard plugs use center electrodes made of some sort of nickel alloy. Copper would corrode and wear away quickly. "Copper plug" means copper in the core of the plug.

Reply to
y_p_w

"plugmaster" wrote: > In regards to the different ngk plugs: > > Platinum is stronger than copper, Iridium is stronger than > platinum. With each metal improvement, you'll pay more, but > also will get better performance, and hopefully better gas > mileage. > > In regards to the dyno testing, fast fords and power mustangs > ran a dyno test on the iridium plugs, dont remember if they > ran the denso iridiums or ngk iridiums, but anywho, > sparkplugs.com has a pdf of the results on their site. when > you are looking at the part specs(after using the > make/model/year lookup, mouse-over the part#, and the specs > are displayed), click on iridium, and it takes you to another > page with a link to the pdf.

right, that is correct, the center electrode itself is not made of copper, even though the standard plugs are commonly referred to as "copper" plugs. platinum and iridium plugs, however, are properly termed, as the center electrode is made out of that metal. some plugs even have a platinum tipped ground electrode...plugs with a platinum center and platinum tipped ground electrode are commonly termed "double platinum" or something similar. some manufacturers, including ngk, also have plugs with an iridium center electrode and platinum tipped ground electrode, in combination.

Reply to
plugmaster