Camry 2002: How to drain windshield washer fluid reservoir? Help

Dear all:

I would like to drain the windshield washer fluid reservoir in my camry

2002 to eliminate a possible source of the smell in my car. Is there a drain plug somewhere in the reservoir?

Thanks, Madison18

Reply to
Madison18

On my 99 model, the only opening in the reservoir is at the top, so you pretty much have to remove it to drain it unless you want to spend some quality time with your turkey baster. Fortunately, it's fastened to the body with only 2 or 3 bolts; you shouldn't have any problem removing it.

Reply to
Nobody Important

I think the smell is the dead animal under your seat.

Reply to
m Ransley

Ok I wont kid you anymore, have you considered mold in your ductwork, Mold is common, if the drain - condensate drain is clogged water collects and stinks. This is common if the AC is used alot, pouring bleach through the intakes outside at the windshield may help a bit, I did it, but it will stink like bleach for a week or more. Bleach is the easiest way to kill mold, it removes Oxygen from the plant.

Do you drive in stop go traffic, then the smells might be exuast from other cars.

I dought your issue is fluids leaking, You have looked and tried this, using a spray degreaser and powerwashing the motor area will remove everything, then you will know for sure.

Your issue may be an exuast leak, even if it looks alright it does not mean all is fine, a good a battery operated digital read out Co meter will detect an exuast in the passenger compartment while driving. House models like Nighthawk have battery backup, digital Peak hold readings, I just dont know if they will work, some alarm when 120v is removed.

Last is your interior and interior ductwork, a good shampooing and clean might be the real issue.

Reply to
m Ransley

Hi m Ransley:

After two months of intensive labor and thinking and elimination of one possible smell source after another, last weekend, I finally found the source the cat-urine smell in my Camry 2002 passenger compartment (cabin)! Guess what? It is the leaking AC chemical (i.e., refrigerant R-134a + oil). Unbelievable huh!

I can't believe it myself. Before the discovery, a mechanic even gave me a chance to smell some R-134a to prove to me that the cat-urine smell in my cabin does not come from leaking refrigerant R-134a. It turns out that refrigerant R-134a does not smell like cat urine at all. But I insisted that the refrigerant in my AC system be removed (because that's the only smell source left). To my relief, after the refrigerant removal, the cat urine smell in cabin stopped.

So, I theorize that R-134a is kind of chemically active. When escaping from the portion of AC system behind the firewall (e.g., from the evaporator core), the refrigerant may chemically react with some stuff in the evaporator case and create all kinds of smells (cat urine in my case). You may have heard a lot about mold and other stuff in evaporator case. I think those stuffs are ready to react with leaking R-134a to create all kinds of odors you never expect.

Thank you all for your supports and suggestions. I will let you know if my solutions for the leaks work.

Bye now. Madison18.

Reply to
Madison18