Camry parts

Hello all, I have 4 questions I would like an answer to. I was wondering if it is possible to install a tach on a 90 Camry DX sedan. If you are able to, how do you go about doing it. The last 2 questions are where can I find a new dome light bulb and what type or what ID number is the bulb.

Thanks,

TheGaffler

--
"If we do not maintain Justice, Justice will not maintain us."
-Francis Bacon

Hmm...interesting question. One I have wondered myself.

If you're talking the stock tach in the instrument cluster, that requires removing the instrument panel and replacing it with one with a tach, that you can probably get in a 'recycling' yard for 35-75 bucks.

This is an electrical tach. My experience with Toys is that they are usually built one way, with all wiring installed but not all wiring used. I know this is true up to 1988, so installing the tach should require just plugging it in. You want to take out your instrument panel first and bring it with you. On a 90 Nissan I had, I had a Heads Up unit instrument panel as a spare and the car had traditional guages. The HUD unit had different connectors, and I trashed tha car I removed the panel from before I noticed the difference. You may have to cut out part of the harness on the donor car to make it work. With any luck, it will either just plug in or there will be an adapter on the donor car, so you don't have to track wiring down (I was an electronics tech for 19 years...I HATE automotive wiring)

As far as adding an aftermarket tach, I have noticed doing maintenance on both my '85s that there are warnings all over the service manuals about hooking up an external tach when doing maintenance. Something about a special circuit needed in the tach so it doesn't blow some circuit. I don't know if this applies to an aftermarket instrument style tach, but I assume it does. If this is what you are trying to do then find a good aftermarket parts store, one with people who know Toys and ask advice.

Good luck!

Reply to
HachiRoku