Camry revs its head off

I've just bought a 2005 Camry Altise V6 and have a question about its performance when cold. It revs at over 2000 when cold but settles down to

800 when it warms up. Is this normal for this model ?

Appreciate some advice.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon

Yes, my 2000 Camry LE 4 Cyl., when cold always revs high. Once warm, it settles back down.

Reply to
camryguy

Yes, my 2000 Camry LE 4 Cyl., when cold always revs high. Once warm, it settles back down.

**************** Thanks camryguy

Have a great day

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon

No its not normal for all those that said theirs do it also, When cold, oil is thick and doesnt get to the top end of the motor quickly, at very high rpm the oil can be thick enough to open the oil filter bypass valve giving you dirty oil to the motor. Below zero is when this is a big issue as oils get thicker as it gets colder. Oil starvation occurs at extreme cold, it has been stated near 40-50% of all engine wear can occur just on cold startups, even the overdrive in my model wont engauge until the motor is near 110f, and thats a factory design. Mine starts at near 9-1100 rpm and goes quickly to

6-700. Get it fixed, in summer you wont kill it but near zero and below you really hurt the motor. This is why I use synthetics, they pour at lower temps, do a google on oil starvation at startup in cold temps.
Reply to
ransley

2000 rpm would be like starting you car and immediatly drining on the highway, you just never do that when its cold out, right. its very bad for the motor, I wont even reach those rpms when its warm out, the motor has to warm up first.
Reply to
ransley

I have a 2002 Camry-4 and it NEVER goes that high on cold start up even in the winter. It MAY? go as high as 1100 rpm at cold start up but NO higher . and settles down to normal 700-800 after a mile or so.

I think there may be a fault in your computer or it needs to be reprogrammed. Ed

Reply to
mred

Maybe the idle air control, this morning I was 800 cold a few minutes later 600 rpm, 2000 is stupid nuts.Whenever I see some idiot who has the habit of reving his cold motor to 2-3000 at -10f in the AM they never have that car for much longer, and I dont wonder why its been junked.

Reply to
ransley

I have always found that on cold starts, my car always revs high on its own. Not at 4000 or 5000 RPM, but probably 1800 if not more, but never more than 2000. I misread the initial post. I thought he said at

2000 RPM, but only now am I noticing that the car is revving more than 2000. Sorry for the misleading post.
Reply to
camryguy

Thankyou everyone for your replies, I'll get it looked at.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon

That is considered way to fast.

Reply to
ransley

Ransley, the car is 10 years old and has 215,000kms on it. I would think that if the initial revving was too high, that some sort of mechanical issue would have risen as a result. Non so far. When it is negative 25 degrees Celsius outside, and the car has been sitting outside all night, its going to rev itself higher than if it were 10 degrees. And today, I noticed that when I started the car this morning for the first time, it revved up to 1500 RPM. It was 14 degrees and needed to warm up. I let it settle down, and off I went. If a problem arises because of this, I'll let you know.

Reply to
camryguy

Your just a bit blind to how things work in life.

Reply to
ransley

How so? I stated a fact, and it doesn't agree with yours. You may have a Camry, but you don't have my Camry, or his. Just let it go and accept that there are different pinions in this world.

Reply to
camryguy

Understand damage occurs slowly, Camry engines can go 300,000++ miles under optimal conditions, damage that occurs is just something that will reduce enging life from years old cold temp reving, slowly, it could make a 3k motor die an early death at 1-150,000. My camry thats run in -20f has 110,000 miles and recently had a pollution test done, its ready for another 200,000++ judging by the EPA pollution test parameters the motor is at now. Do your self a favor and google "effects of oil starvation from cold start", "cold start oil starvation" "High rpm oil bypass valve" "engine wear at startup from lack of oil" "Bypassing oil from Bypass oil filter valve" etc. You are subjecting your car to a dry engine start that is proven to reduce engine life up to 50%, that bypasses the filter with dirty oil going through the engine, at the time your engine needs oil the most. Its a common problem that synthetics have done alot to fix. You are not immune to this, you are just now aware of all the things going on inside the motor that slowly hurt it, its like driving hard or not changing oil regularly, they just reduce engine life slowly. I have actualy seen motors visably degrade in just weeks from this practice of high reving at startup, at extreme cold. Try a test, put some regular oil in your deep freeze and see how it pours compared to warm oil, it just cant circulate to the top of the motor fast enough to not cause damage. There are sites you can google thet give time in minutes that you can be running with no oil due to cold thick oil, now add the factor of high rpm and the seriousness becomes evident to engine wear. If high rpm was better to warm faster, cars would be made that way from the factory.

Reply to
ransley

I am curious to what would be recommended in very cold weather, is it recommended that the car would warm up and drop to 600-800 rpm before driving? I have never paid attention to this, and it gets very cold in winter here in Ontario-Canada.

Reply to
Wes

The best is good oil that flows in the cold like synthetic, a filter that is not old and clogged up and just driving easy for a few minutes. For highway speed a few minutes till its warmed a bit is best but just take it real easy while the oil is hardly lubricating in frigid temps. Ive gone to 0-30 mobil 1.

Reply to
ransley

:

Thanks for the reply. After reading this post I have started monitoring the intitial rpm at startup at my Camry 2005 (4 cyl). I see similar behaviour as described here. It start ~1,600 rpm and goes to ~800 after a while. When I switch to drive when at 1,600 rpm, it drops from ~1,600 to ~1,000 rpm. My car has ~100,000 Kms (63,000 miles). I do not see any issues when driving. Any comments or advise?

Reply to
Wes

Depends on how cold it is.

Reply to