Camry Suspension

I have a 1994 Toyota Camry with about 140,000 miles on it. The driver- side rear strut is making some noise. If I push the wheel from the side while it's jacked up, there is a slight give that causes part of the racket. It's as though the stut's piston doesn't quite remain in line with the cylinder. There is also a noise sometimes when the strut compresses, like it needs to be oiled or greased or something. I know the struts need to be replaced eventually. I have two questions, however.

1) If I wait a few months to replace the struts, is there a potential catastrophe around the corner? Is it possible that the strut will fail in such a way as to rip the rear wheel off the car? Or will it just fail and remain in place, drivable, but with no support from the strut. 2) When I replace the strut, should I replace the springs as well, or are they probably ok for another 100k miles? I've seen the Monroe quickstrut, but my impression is that that's just an easy way to replace the strut without using a spring compressor. Or would I benefit from replacing the spring?
Reply to
JasonAndMichelle

Yes with 140,000 miles and 14 years old, I would say if you have the money, to just go with the Monroe quickstrut. I'm sure the springs are tired and the mounts worn or at least somewhat worn. Tony

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

It may not be the strut but a 15$ bushing on a suspension arm, it was on mine, total cost 35$

Reply to
ransley

My monroes were bad from day 1, they froze in winter

Reply to
ransley

You might also have a loose ball joint. Check Autozone's free repair guide:

Check "Suspension & steering" section on how to check the ball joints.

Reply to
johngdole

A strut is a structural component of the front suspension. If the play is from the strut and not from the ball joints then you should get it replaced. Most pistons are made of metal and shouldn't have this problem. But old parts break.

Get the Monroe QuickStrut. You'll also need new mounts and rubber parts (boots, strut bumpers). It's worth buying the whole assembly.

Reply to
johngdole

I agree, look at your rear sway bar bushings before any other move. It is a very common cause of noise and knocks in this year model, and is easy to rectify.

Cheers

Reply to
whitefamily1