Car Shudders When Stopped

I have a '91 Camry DX 4-cylinder that drives great (especially now with all the things I've had to fix this past year). The problem is, whenever I come to a stop, the whole car shudders. It's so loud, people in other cars can hear it. When I put it in park, it idles smoothly; the only time it shudders is when I'm at a stop while the car is in drive. Can anyone explain what would cause this and possible solutions?

Thanks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Not trying to be smart, but doesn't the person who fixed all the things have a clue? Did it start when one of the things was fixed?

Reply to
jg

Could it be a motor mount?

Reply to
Tony Marsillo

A warped brake rotor

Reply to
m Ransley

I thought you meant when slowing down it shudders. It could be a motor mount, but what you describe indicates you need a tune up, you dont fire well at idle, it could also be the coil is weak, it is a common 91 4 cil issue. Even bad gas does that for my 91 4. But keeping it tuned I avoid the problem. Are plugs, wires- cap old. Pull plugs to read their condition, it could even be a weak cilinder.

Reply to
m Ransley

Well, I'm the one who fixed most of them (just replacing some things), and I obviously don't have a clue about it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Wouldn't I also notice the shuddering when I was slowing down? But I had the brakes replaced 1 1/2 years ago, so they would have had to have warped since then, and this was going on long before that.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Even though it runs smoothly in park?

Nah, I use good stuff, not the cheapest.

But keeping it tuned I avoid

I just replaced the plugs, wires, cap, fuel filter, MAF sensor, and thermostat within the past few months.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Is it noise or the car shaking that others notice? My '91 has a high frequency shudder at idle in gear which I assume is normal, at least I can't get it any better. If it had a loose exhaust or broken engine mount etc, it would probably rattle like mad. I have had bad spark plugs out of the box before - they have always been Bosch.

Reply to
jg

Well usually when I hear it is okay in park but idles badly in drive because in drive there is more of a load on the engine, so if the idle speed gets too low then your engine will idle badly, I would try to see if when the car is idling in drive and it runs bad just crack open the throttle alittle and see if it smooths out, then maybe clean out the throttle bore with carburetor cleaner by removing the rubber intake manifold boot and working the throttle plate and spraying cleaner around the plate and the hole right before the throttle plate. Also try to run engine (in park with handbrake set) and try to spray into bore in short 1 second bursts, you might have to race engine to about

2000 rpm to keep it from dy> I have a '91 Camry DX 4-cylinder that drives great (especially now with
Reply to
edokamoto