Check engine light

Hey y'all!

Does anyone know if a dirty air filter can cause the check engine light to come on and stay on?! The light came up yesterday and staid on today too. The car drives nice, it shifts nice. All fluids are topped up. Oil is good, Fuel good. All looks fine. It doesn't make any noises either. I checked the air filter this morning and held it up towards the sun. I can hardly see the light come through it. What can this be? Oh my car is a 99 Camry CE 4-cyl, auto.

Reply to
Omega

Disconnect battery and reconnect -this should reset your computer so the light does not come on. If the air filter is that dirty definitely change it but I have no idea if that is the cause of the light coming on. This check engine light never ceases to amaze me. The owners manual implies' by having you call the service dept. immediately that there is big problems. I had visions of a ceased engine among other things. Spoke with personell in person at three Toyota service deptartments and they all say don't worry -- drive it. Any idea why then the need for the light in the first place and why the sense of implied trouble in the service booklet?

It would appear I have answered your questions and raised a few more. All I know is that my check engine light doesn't come on any more.

The Artful Codger

Reply to
Artfulcodger

Thank you for your input Artful Codger. I was told today by the Toyota dealer that the air filter has nothing to do with it and I should go & get it checked out. The guy was going to get my name and all for the appointment so they can make a quick bucks on me just by plugging their diagnosing system into my car. Charge me like $80- for nothing. I just asked them a question. Today I was driving around all day with the car and the engine light on. No problems. I'll try the battery disconnection too. I was also told that a loose gas cap can cause the light to come on. Go figure. :)

Reply to
Omega

OK, its a $2500 tool, you go buy one and check it yourself. Then you can do it for free!

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Autozone will read the codes for free.

Second, had you recently gotten gasoline?? If you don't get the cap on tight enough, the check engine light has been known to come on.

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-me.akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169

Reply to
Curtis Newton

My point MDT if your service desk says and I quote " you can ride that all the way to Japan with the check engine light on and it won't hurt that baby" what the f**** the point in having a light at all. Secondly if this computer is so damn touchy that a gas cap fitting will set it off and I have had that happen too, why then the sense of implied emergency in the service booklet. Perhaps there are conditions that are dangerous but the front men seem to think not.

The Artful Codger

Reply to
Artfulcodger

Same thing happened to my 2000 Camry XLE. Today I got it check out and it was a burned out valve pressure sensor. The technician told me that "long term wise, it will cause damage to the engine". I had it replaced for $230 canadian dollors. $133 for the labour and ~$60 for the sensor.

Reply to
Godzilla

A "valve pressure sensor?" Huh?

Reply to
Philip ®

Reply to
Devils Advocate

They would only have to scan 30 cars to make up what they paid for it. $80 to check a code is quite insane (I've had welding done on my exhaust for a quarter of that). That seems to be most dealership's (not Toyota exclusive) favorite ripoff method. Its around the same price from Nissan to diagnose a check engine light, even though its simple (turning a screw on the ECU) to check them yourself. Of course this isn't documented in their literature, aside from the FSM. Did Toyota incorperate this into any of their cars yet?

Reply to
Nick

It can, AS long as the check engine light isnt blinking.

To let you know the system has detected a malfunction, which doesnt always means it will have anything to do with performance or a noticeable affect on performance.

Because it "might" one doesnt know till its checked. Its your car, you can do whatever you want with it. The check engine lights come on for reasons like catalyts degraded by 60% or more, slight engine missfire, )2 heater circuit not working, evaporative emission entering into the air. It you dont like it, write your congressman, they are building them the exact way the federal goverment told them (not asked, but told) if they wanted to sell them for use on US highways. DO you think its different if you bought a Dodge or something? Yes, the light comes on more often. The biggest culprit for check engine lights is th elose gas cap, and its always been owner inflicted.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

If your area has emission testing, the check engine light must be off to pass the test.

Reply to
Mark A

Well why would the exhaust shop charge you for welding? I'm sure the welder is already paid for, its free from there on. Oh, the tech? He can voluteer his time. I spent $40,000 over my professional life on tools, continued updating, recertification and so on to volunteer my time for free. Oh, as for the dealership, we dont have any over head, its all paid for and the city has exempt us from all property taxes, buisness an occupation taxes, the power company has exempt us form any billing, along with water/sewage/garbage, and they give me money for gas to drive

70 miles ropund trip so I can work for free.

And just a FYI, we will tell you what your code is for $38, will will dig deeper and probalby tell you what will fix it for $78 and up.

Imagine if I told you its a P0171, lean condition. What would you do with that? Oh, I dont turn the light off either unless I'm told to fix it.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

I'm guessing he meant "vapor pressure sensor" , its part of the evap system. But hurt the engine???

Reply to
MDT Tech®

True and if you think pulling a bulb will do it, your wrong. They will check for codes and pending codes (in case you cleared them just before entering the line with your own scan tool) and this was also one of those other mandatory requirements the feds did.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Vapor pressure sensor.... something bean eaters should have?

Reply to
Philip ®

I got mine for 125 bucks at Kragens. I'll read any car for a fiver. Bay Area, CA

mike

------------------

MDT Tech® wrote:

Reply to
MB

Reply to
NOYB

For a few bucks you can use your home PC to fetch the information. The software is free but you need an OBD-II interface unit (about $80) which will convert the OBD-II protocol into one your PC can read. See

Anyone ever used one of these....I was thinking of dedicating an old laptop for this purpose.

Reply to
kiselink

You can buy a complete code reader for about the same price...like the Actron CP9135, no need for a computer then..

Jeff

Reply to
photoman2