Clutch Repair for 91 Camry

I am replacing my clutch in a 91 Toyta Camry. I bought a Haynes Manual, but that was a waste of money. It is way off course as far as taking out the transmission.

Right now I have removed the crossmembers and exhaust. The shift linkage is also disconnected. I am in the process of removing the drivers side driveaxle, but it is not coming out. I read so articles that said use two screwdrivers, but that didn't work. I took a close look and where the seal covers the shaft that goes into the transmission, there appears to be no snap ring.

I need help. Any suggestions?

Reply to
frederik_ferrell

The snap ring is on the end of the axle inside the spider gear in the differential - you'll see it when you get the axle out! The big trick to this, is that you can push the axle and get it to move slightly back into the transaxle. Do that, then turn it and try prying again. You'll need a fairly stout pry bar. I found one at NAPA for around $30 (5/8" x 18", but clearly well made and strong) and then slid a section of pipe from Home Depot over the end as a "cheater bar." You'll want around a two foot length overall. The idea is to get that clip to drop down into the groove near the end of the axle with the opening in the clip facing downward. That way, when you pry, it should pop right out. If the opening is facing up, the solid part of the clip extends beyond the groove and it can hang up when you are trying to pry it loose. Since you can't actually see the clip, turn apx. 1/3 turn, try prying, then turn again. When you get it right, it should come right out.

Reply to
Daniel

Also try the AutoZone free online repair guide for the 91.

I am replacing my clutch in a 91 Toyta Camry. I bought a Haynes

Reply to
johngdole