coincidence or not?

For about two months or so, the automatic transmisson on my 94 Camry LE (104k mi.) has had problems. There was a very noticible delay before it would upshift into second gear, sometimes requiring me to take my foot off the gas for a second otherwise it would over-rev. Wanting to get the problem taken care of before it got worse, I brought it in to a shop for an inspection. The guy checked the cables and fluid, then took off with it on a road test. When he got back a few minutes later, he notified me that the car would only go into first. There wasn't even a reverse! Now, what are the odds that my trasmission would go from bad to completely useless the minute a mechanic takes it out of my sight? Could anybody tell me what I can expect to pay (I am a broke student) and would it be better to rebuild or swap it out with a low milage transmission? Thanks, Robert

p.s. Does anybody know of an honest mechanic in or near San Bernardino, CA? Most of the ones I've talked to seem pretty slimy.

Reply to
robert

Don't tell me, it wasn't the dealer but an automatic transmission repair shop. Did they give you free donuts and coffee? Those are the most expensive donuts you will ever eat. Live and learn.

Reply to
Mark A

repair

expensive

You're right, it was an automatic transmission repair shop. The one with the highest rating according to BBB.org. In addition, they were the only place that sounded like they knew what could have been causing the problem when I described it over the phone. My friends pointed out to me that I should have gone along on the road test, something I realized myself after this incident. But I still don't know who I can take it to. The local dealers say they don't do rebuilds, they just replace the entire thing. That would cost more than my car's worth. I might try AAMCO, but I'm iffy on them because national chains always want their employees to "sell up". Thanks again, Robert

p.s. No free coffee and donuts, but they'll soon be getting a free brick through their window!

Reply to
robert

The BBB is a joke a toothless joke. You should have gone along for the ride. Try changing the oil and filter before spending thousands

Reply to
m Ransley

I don't know if that year is electronically controlled but if it is sometimes it is just a cheap sensor gone bad. Take it to the dealer. Also could try changing fluid and probably should if it hasn't been changed in

50k miles.

Reply to
Art

Re: transmission problems.

------------- Re: Where to find a mechanic to work on your transmission.

------------- Shows your instincts are working correctly to detect so many low quality mechanics. Personally, I would rather buy the tools and do the work myself. Re: Rebuild vs. Replace Would always favor replace. Rebuilt transmissions are almost never as good as the original factory unit, whereas essentially that's what you're getting with a second hand replacement from a wrecking yard. Get one that's never been opened up and worked on, and you're likely to have better results. Back to the question of mechanics. Look for an independent mechanic that specializes in Toyota and insist they use only genuine factory parts. There are many independent mechanics that specialize in Toyota. Look at the shop. Is it clean and well organized, or disorganized and littered with debris? Once had a German independent mechanic rebuild a Volkswagen engine for me. The shop was spotless. He did a fantastic job. One of the few positive experiences with a mechanic.

1994 Toyota Camry LE transmission. That's what I have. Recently have been marveling at the smoothness of the shifting performance (128,000 miles). It operates beautifully. One of the things I've been trying really hard to avoid, (since I like to keep cars a long, long time) is having to replace the transmission because they are so expensive. One of the best things you can do to make the transmission last - (want to guess? similar to making the engine last) - yep. "change the oil." The automatic transmission has friction material that engages with hydraulic pressure and is subject to wear over time, contaminating the fluid. The fluid also has to lubricate the planetary gears that carry the cars forward motion, so it is a great idea to periodically check the condition and level of the fluid. Compare your fluid to new out of the bottle. It is hard to imagine what a mechanic could have done on a test drive to disable shifting. (I'm basically honest so there may be some tricks I haven't thought of) First guess, since he probably didn't have access to any internal parts, is a simple disconnection of a cable or electrical connection - easily remedied. Back to the fluid. Much of the magic of an automatic transmission is in the torque converter that allows the car to idle in Drive and move smoothly from a stop. Even when the fluid is drained, some remains in the torque converter. You can get more out by draining hot, and leaving the drain plug open over night (making sure no one else drives the car). All you really need to pull the drain plug is a 10 mm Allen head socket and a fresh gasket. Plus a 1/2" ratchet handle or breaker bar, and adapter down to the 3/8" socket, because the plug can be tight, but don't over tighten when replacing, just gently snug it down, then a bit more, then a bit more. The idea is to slightly compress the aluminum gasket for a positive seal. You also need to be careful about re filling fluid. For the final topping up, you need to drive at least ten miles, and add slowly up to the full hot mark. A lot of mechanics that don't take the time to properly fill the automatic transmission get the final level wrong. You'll need to drain and re fill several times to clean the fluid. If it has been neglected, you could also remove the transmission pan and clean the filter screen. That could solve your problem right there. Your transmission is electronically controlled by the car's computer using shift solenoids. A shift solenoid is just a valve that is controlled by an electrically activated magnet. The clearances inside the valve body are extremely precise. Even a tiny bit of contaminant - a speck of dirt - can cause problems, so if you pull the pan, you need to be scrupulously clean. Remember the part about finding a mechanic with a clean shop? When you clean the inside of the transmission pan, you don't dry it with a rag, you need to clean it with solvent and then let the solvent evaporate. Actually this is no big deal. The gasket is only a few dollars, and you can find solvent in a spray can for a few dollars. (I like Berryman Chemtool) Then you just carefully loosen and evenly tighten (not over tighten) a bunch of small bolts around the perimeter. Here's a place where you might do a better job than a mechanic. You can go slowly, tightening just a little bit at a time, in a cross pattern, over and over again, until they're snugged down. There's a Haynes manual that gives more detail. Final torque is in inch pounds so they don't need to be very tight. Prior mechanics had stripped the threads on two of my transmission pan bolts by over tightening before I got to it. If the friction material inside your transmission is not worn out from neglect or abuse, and you don't see large bits of metal clinging to the permanent magnets inside the bottom of the pan, your problem is probably with the valve body sticking from contaminated old fluid, or one of the shift solenoids sticking, or a bad electrical connection to one of the solenoids. (there are only three total) If you take the car to a shop, your goal is to find an honest mechanic. Amazingly, I found one of these guys at my corner Shell station. An Indian man. Very nice. Always remembered my name. Always a smiling greeting. Always worked quickly and efficiently at reasonable prices, and if only a minor repair was needed he would say so. I once thought the timing chain on my truck was rattling and needed replacement. He said no, it is just the heat shield over the exhaust. I once thought the air pump on the truck was bad. He said no. It is just a loose belt. These guys are rare, but apparently you can find them occasionally. There are a gazillion cars in Southern California, and thousands of mechanics. If you are patient, you should be able to find one you can meet your needs.
Reply to
Daniel

[...]

1994 Toyota Camry LE transmission. That's what I have. Recently have been marveling at the smoothness of the shifting performance (128,000 miles). It operates beautifully. One of the things I've been trying really hard to avoid, (since I like to keep cars a long, long time) is having to replace the transmission because they are so expensive. One of the best things you can do to make the transmission last - (want to guess? similar to making the engine last) - yep. "change the oil." The automatic transmission has friction material that engages with hydraulic pressure and is subject to wear over time, contaminating the fluid. The fluid also has to lubricate the planetary gears that carry the cars forward motion, so it is a great idea to periodically check the condition and level of the fluid. Compare your fluid to new out of the bottle. It is hard to imagine what a mechanic could have done on a test drive to disable shifting. (I'm basically honest so there may be some tricks I haven't thought of) First guess, since he probably didn't have access to any internal parts, is a simple disconnection of a cable or electrical connection - easily remedied. Back to the fluid. Much of the magic of an automatic transmission is in the torque converter that allows the car to idle in Drive and move smoothly from a stop. Even when the fluid is drained, some remains in the torque converter. You can get more out by draining hot, and leaving the drain plug open over night (making sure no one else drives the car). All you really need to pull the drain plug is a 10 mm Allen head socket and a fresh gasket. Plus a 1/2" ratchet handle or breaker bar, and adapter down to the 3/8" socket, because the plug can be tight, but don't over tighten when replacing, just gently snug it down, then a bit more, then a bit more. The idea is to slightly compress the aluminum gasket for a positive seal. You also need to be careful about re filling fluid. For the final topping up, you need to drive at least ten miles, and add slowly up to the full hot mark. A lot of mechanics that don't take the time to properly fill the automatic transmission get the final level wrong. You'll need to drain and re fill several times to clean the fluid. If it has been neglected, you could also remove the transmission pan and clean the filter screen. That could solve your problem right there. Your transmission is electronically controlled by the car's computer using shift solenoids. A shift solenoid is just a valve that is controlled by an electrically activated magnet. The clearances inside the valve body are extremely precise. Even a tiny bit of contaminant - a speck of dirt - can cause problems, so if you pull the pan, you need to be scrupulously clean. Remember the part about finding a mechanic with a clean shop? When you clean the inside of the transmission pan, you don't dry it with a rag, you need to clean it with solvent and then let the solvent evaporate. Actually this is no big deal. The gasket is only a few dollars, and you can find solvent in a spray can for a few dollars. (I like Berryman Chemtool) Then you just carefully loosen and evenly tighten (not over tighten) a bunch of small bolts around the perimeter. Here's a place where you might do a better job than a mechanic. You can go slowly, tightening just a little bit at a time, in a cross pattern, over and over again, until they're snugged down. There's a Haynes manual that gives more detail. Final torque is in inch pounds so they don't need to be very tight. Prior mechanics had stripped the threads on two of my transmission pan bolts by over tightening before I got to it. If the friction material inside your transmission is not worn out from neglect or abuse, and you don't see large bits of metal clinging to the permanent magnets inside the bottom of the pan, your problem is probably with the valve body sticking from contaminated old fluid, or one of the shift solenoids sticking, or a bad electrical connection to one of the solenoids. (there are only three total) If you take the car to a shop, your goal is to find an honest mechanic. Amazingly, I found one of these guys at my corner Shell station. An Indian man. Very nice. Always remembered my name. Always a smiling greeting. Always worked quickly and efficiently at reasonable prices, and if only a minor repair was needed he would say so. I once thought the timing chain on my truck was rattling and needed replacement. He said no, it is just the heat shield over the exhaust. I once thought the air pump on the truck was bad. He said no. It is just a loose belt. These guys are rare, but apparently you can find them occasionally. There are a gazillion cars in Southern California, and thousands of mechanics. If you are patient, you should be able to find one who can meet your needs.
Reply to
Daniel

Um, pick up the paper and buy another one? Whew! Only 104K and the tranny's toast? I think you need a scond opinion. BTW, does it shift up through the gears if you shilt manually? It may just need to be drained and filled a couple times.

Note: DO NOT FLUSH!!!!! We have had a couple cars where the trannies were flushed and the went kaput withing a couple hundred miles! Just drain and fill every 500 miles for 1500 miles and see if that takes care of it.

You may also have a solenoid that's bad, $50 for the part and $1-250 to have it replaced, unless you have a buddy with a spare lift!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Now, now, violence is not the answer! Just think, "Zen and the art of Toyota mainteneace"

Or something like taht...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Not a guy in Northampton, was it?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Someone once told me that not all business that are members of the BBB are dishonest, but every dishonest business in town is a member of the BBB.

Reply to
Mark A

Thanks for all of your advice, I'm going to check if the solenoids are at fault. I can't really do any of the work myself, as I have no experience and no garage. But thanks anyway, Daniel. I'm sure someone else now or in the future will benefit greatly from your knowledge. And Hachiroku, it does not shift up if I do it manually. I'll see if a drain/refill cycle might help, but I'm pretty sure it's more of a control problem.

Reply to
robert

Robert, the clue might be in your first posting. You said the "mechanic" checked the cables and then went for a test drive. He could have easily misadjusted the cable or disconnected something to make it worse than it was.

Get a second opinion and tell them thw whole story.

Good Luck

Reply to
RunnerBiker

Wow. If shifting manually does not work, you probably have some pretty serious problems. Does it at least shift from first to second?

There may be a diagnostic plug under the dash. Since it is a '94 this will probably work. You want to jumper E1 to TT terminals, turn the key on tha watch the OD indicator. The number of flashes will give you a clue as to what might be happening, if it is an electronic problem. If the OD light flashes at a regular interval, then the ECT is working and you have mechanical problems, much, much more expensive, I'm afraid.

This is for a Supra, but almost all the diagnostic plugs offer the same options. You will also find the codes on this site, again for a Supra, but on most of my cars the codes are all the same.

Good luck!

Reply to
hachiroku

LOL! And I'd believe it!