CV joint boots on 1993 Camry

I have a 1993 Camry with 350,000km (about 220k miles). One of the outer boots for the CV joint is cracked. I just spoke with the local Toyota garage, and they advised that it is not possible to replace the outer boot - instead, the entire "assembly" needs to be replaced, including the joint itself and the inner and outer boots, for a cost of roughly $325 (twice that price for driver and passenger side).

That doesn't sound right to me - I thought the the outer boot could be replaced as a preventative maintenance measure, so as to avoid the need to replace the whole assembly.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Reply to
Human Factors in the Training

That price would not surprise me at a Toyota dealership.

I have never done a Toyota, but you have to pull the halfshafts to really replace any of these types of boots I have ever seen.. Yes, they make a type of boot that you can put on there and glue the seam, but they dont usually survive as long as it takes the glue to dry. boots.

The last time I checked the prices on warrantied rebuilt shafts with new joints and boots, they were pretty reasonable. That has been 2-3 years but I found them for about $100 exchange. (That was for a Hyundai..The new ones were $400 each.)

You might want to look a little further before succumbing to the dealership shop's prices.

Replacing these shafts is not impossible for a hobby mechanic. But there are a few bumpy areas you will have to navigate.

Reply to
hls

Well, it depends on where you are located. Around here (Los Angeles) many independent shops put ads in the Auto Trader and Recycler for common services like timing belts and front wheel drive axle replacement. About 2 years ago, I had the right hand side axle (CV joint assembly including boots etc.) for about $100.

This is a common job on front wheel drive cars. Check around!

Regards,

DAve

Reply to
spsffan

The CV Boot kit at autozone is from $10.99 to $20.99. Now the question is can you do it yourself. If not most of the labor is the same to replace the boot. You could buy the Cv joint for $60 at autozone and visit a small garage.

Reply to
Airport Shuttle

You can get the half shafts out on this model, dismantle them and replace the boots. I've done that, but decided in the process that it was not worth it. It is a b***d of a job if you don't have a high car hoist.

It is quite common (here in Oz anyway) to replace the half-shafts complete, as the cost of a rebuilt unit is cheap and it lessens the labour cost.

Cheers

Reply to
White Family