Dead 1989 Camry, replace distributor?

Help! I own a 1989 Camry 4 cyl. , It had been running very rough, it missfired when it was idleing and would lurch and shimmy when it was accelerating, but I waited too long to take it into the shop. I was driving it one day, and as I put my foot on the gas pedal, it just died on me and hasn't started sense. There was no smoke, and it obviously not the transmission (no evil grinding or anything), it just turns over but won't start. I've had a mechanic look at it and he claims that the distributor needs to be replaced, but would not fix it unless I bought a new $399.00 part (he would not install a rebuilt distributor I purchased).So now I'm on my own, I was wondering- has anyone had this problem before? Does it sound like the distributor's the problem or was I being taken for a ride? and, if it is the distributor, does anyone have any tips for replaing it myself?

Reply to
dzcoyle16

The coil in the distributor is Known to go bad, try cleaning the oil off it first, are plugs and wires good

Reply to
ransley

Is the weather damp, did it drive better after 1 hour, then its likely the coil

Reply to
ransley

I have a 1988 Camry 4 cyl. My problem was similar but would not start until I had driven about 10 minutes. The dealer went through everything, replacing sensors, but in the end it was the distributor and the igniter (coil) that solved the problem. Both were replaced together so I don't know which was the culprit. For a similar problem in my Corolla, I replaced the distributor and that solved the problem.

The dealer replaced my distributor with a reconditioned (factory) part. I have 100, 000 mile on the part to date.

Replacing the distributor is easy. Two 12 mm bolts hold it in place - remove them. Remove the distributor cap. Disconnect two electrical connectors coming from the distributor. Note the position of the rotor in the distributor for correct replacement with new one. (It wouldn't hurt to note the position of the housing to the clamping bolts for rapid re-installation.) I had to remove the rubber air intake hose to the fuel injection throttle body to allow clearance removing the distributor. Slide out the distributor. Lightly lube the "O" ring on the new distributor housing, align the rotor correctly and slide the new distributor straight into the head. It should seat easily - if not gently wiggle the rotor to help the alignment of the distributor shaft and the slot in the drive cam. It is off-center slightly so you really can't install it wrong - you shouldn't have to force anything. Turn the housing to the approximate position the old one occupied, install and tighten the clamping bolts, the distributor cap and the electrical connections. It should start. Use a timing light to verify the distributor advance ~ 10=B0 BTC, tighten the bolts again and you are done.

Without prior experience, you should be able to finish the job in an hour.

Reply to
bernievogler