Difficult in 1st gear

2.2i Camry 1999 110.000 miles manual gear. When cold it requires a lot of force to get the car in 1st gear (so much force that I drive away in 2nd instead of 1st for fear of breaking something). After driving a few miles 1st gear functions as normal: shifting in and out like 'new'.

Any suggestion what could be wrong?

Bert

Reply to
Bert

Does it have the correct oil

Reply to
m Ransley

Have you tried shifting to reverse, moving half a foot and then into

1st?
Reply to
timbirr

"m Ransley" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3132.bay.webtv.net...

Yes, and the correct quantity.

Reply to
Bert

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

Yes, and that has no impact. It still won't move in 1st until it's warmed up a few miles.

Warmed up may not even be the right expression: it only takes about 2 miles.

Reply to
Bert

Do you use synthetic or mineral gear oil?

"Bert" skrev i meddelandet news:d9v2om$dm9$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.zwoll.ov.home.nl...

Reply to
Camry_guy

Sounds like a temperture issue with the gearbox oil. Maybe its too thick,...

Try also, blipping the throttle while the gearbox is in neutral before ttempting to select 1st,...especially when the car is still rolling.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I once tried putting STP (mixed something like 10%) into a standard gear box, and the same thing happened to me - really hard to shift into gear when cold, so I drained and re filled with straight gear oil and the problem vanished. The synchromesh hub attached to the gear is causing problems. First try drain and refill with different oil. Has been a very long time but I used Valvoline. If it were me, I'd try a couple of different types of oil first, to see if you can get some improvement that way.

Reply to
Daniel

Dan, Good advice on the oil change. I would even use synthetic due to it's better lube ability and heat dissipation. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92