Disable EGR

Hi! I have a 2.2L 93 Camry. I couldn't find this information so could anyone please tell me how exactly can I disable the EGR system? Is it enough just to unplug the hoses?

Thanks, Erhan

Reply to
Erhan

Dont do it keeping exaust gas in the oil will ruin oil shortly, plus your car wont likely run right.

Reply to
m Ransley

Umm, why would you want to disable it? If you're in a state that mandates vehicle inspections, it would never pass, for one thing, and secondly, your car won't run right if you do. So why?

Reply to
mack

EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculator. It takes exhaust gas from the exhaust manifold and runs it back through the intake. Nothing touches the oil. The idea is to cool down the burning fuel by introducing an inert gas, which in turn reduces NoX emissions.

To disable, one needs to unplug the hose to the EGR diaphragm and plug the hose. Doing so will increase combustion temperature (enough to cause damage? Beats me), fail emissions on NoX and result in a Check Engine light.

The first response is getting EGR confused with PCV. PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) removes blow by gases from the crankcase by running them through the intake. Most cars require that extra air/gas to run right. My cars idle real rough without their PCV.

Reply to
Kurt Krueger