DIY Automatic Transmission Flushing

I am about to hit the 60K mark with my '01 Highlander and was plannimg on changing the A/T fluid. I know it has Type IV and it isn't supposed to need changing but... I would like to get most of the old stuff out if possible. Just draining and filling the pan leaves more than half of the old fluid in the torque converter.

Here is the method I have used in the past. I am looking for suggestions for improvements. I am also curious about how the A/T flushing machines work.

First I drain and refil the pan with enough fluid to at least equal the torque converter capacity. Next I disconnect the one of the cooler hoses at the radiator and route both ends to a catch container. I use bot hoses since I don't know which one is the output side. I then start and run the engine for 5-10 seconds. This is enough time to suck up the new fluid in the pan and push the old out through the torque converter. I then refill the pan again and top off the fluid level.

Do any of you have any easier/better ways to do this? Any problems with this method?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Sr.

Easier is using the drain plug at shorter intervals and changing more often.

Reply to
m Ransley

A good reason to drop the pan is change the filter , clean the magnets and see if much contamination is in the pan and filter, then I would just drain it at the plug more often. A clogged filter will give you problems . At 60000 alot of wear has ocured and looking in the pan is a good way to plan future maintenance

Reply to
m Ransley

I don't know how you can say a lot of wear has occured automatically at 60K. I had a similar transmission on a 90 Camry and dropped the pan at about the same mileage and it was absolutely clean! BTW, this transmission didn't use a filter only a fine screen. I suspect the new one is the same. I'll see what the old fluid and any contaminents looks like before I decide to drop the pan.

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Sr.