R.R. Auto Transmission Flushing

Is it possible to get 100% of the fluid out of the auto box and Torque converter without the aid of a flushing machine? looking at some Yank web pages and someone suggested draining the oil with the engine running??!?!

Reply to
Bill Payer

On or around Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:16:25 -0000, "Bill Payer" enlightened us thusly:

doesn't sound very clever. But no, not otherwise only by pulling the engine or the box and removing the torque converter and draining it. You still can't get *all* the oil out, anyway, 'cos it's next-to-impossible to fully empty the converter even with it removed.

If you're just doing a routine oil change, I'd forget it. Drain the oil, fit a new filter (and sump seal if needed) and refill. If you're bothered about contaminated oil, I'd suggest:

drain, wash the filter through backwards with paraffin, refill, run it for a few hundred miles and repeat, then after another few hundred drain it again and fit a new filter. The filters are about 25 quid apiece.

oh and if you're embarking on such an exercise, buy a 25l drum of ATF...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The reason I asked was that earlier on just before Cristmas, I could not get the RR to move, in any direction in any gear. It would drop in to gear after a quick rev of the engine. I changed the ATF and filter as suggested on the group and ran it for about

Reply to
Bill Payer

On or around Wed, 7 Jan 2004 19:13:29 -0000, "Bill Payer" enlightened us thusly:

they may of course know more than the rest of us about it.

wonder if they'd supply me with a decent set of instructions...

the bits in the RR book are not exactly comprehensive.

for example "insert the linkage setting gauge". Doesn't tell you *where*... and the picture is hardly more help.

Reply to
Austin Shackles