2000 Outback Timing Belt

I have a 2000 Outback that is nearing time for the timing belt replacement.

I have lost some faith in my local mechanic, so I checked with the dealer for their estimate for this work. Quoted $1,175 to replace timing belt, water pump, and all seals.

Does that seem to be the going rate for this work?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave

Do you only have one local mechanic besides the dealer?? A TB replacement isn't really rocket science any longer, any independent mechanic can do it. I would get a few estimates - should be able to do that by calling around, as it's a 'book rate' job.

Dan D '99 Impreza 2.5 RS (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

I'd have said in the $600 range. Maybe as much as $700 for a _real_ thorough job. This would include replacing:

Timing belt Accessory belts Timing belt idlers Water pump Oil pump Thermostat Thermostat housing Upper and lower radiator hoses Crossover tube Radiator cap

The front main seal is housed in the oil pump, and would be addressed in the above list. Replacing _all_ seals would imply doing the cam seals (4 of 'em on a DOHC motor). I don't think this is generally considered part of a routine timing belt job, but it wouldn't hurt. Another couple hundred bucks for this, as it involves significant extra work.

If the dealership is quoting for all of the above, plus all of the cam seals (and checking the valve clearances while they're in there. and new valve cover gaskets -n- such) you're probably getting close to the $1200 mark. At dealership labor rates.

But I'll bet they aren't quoting all of the above work, and a competent independent wrench will save you several hundred dollars for the job in any event.

I'd look around a bit if it were my wallet being plundered.

ByeBye! S. Steve Jernigan KG0MB Laboratory Manager Microelectronics Research University of Colorado (719) 262-3101

Let the group know your city/area and maybe someone can recommend a shop. If no luck here, try the same over at

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I am west of Boston, about 25 miles. The Metrowest area.

Reply to
Dave