Engine out - what should I do?

I'm just about to remove a 2.25 petrol engine and place it onto an engine stand. It appears to be in good condition with good compression. The aim being to check the core plugs, give it a clean and a coat of paint before it is fitted into a different chassis. Apart from not dropping it, what else should I do to it whilst its out? Jon

Reply to
Jon

It's nice out. I think I'll leave it out.

Does that help? David

Reply to
DavidM

I'll consider all comments....... Jon

Reply to
Jon

In news:buopfs$ibb$ snipped-for-privacy@thorium.cix.co.uk, Jon wrote: | I'm just about to remove a 2.25 petrol engine and place it onto an | engine stand. It appears to be in good condition with good | compression. The aim being to check the core plugs, give it a clean | and a coat of paint before it is fitted into a different chassis. | Apart from not dropping it, what else should I do to it whilst its | out? Jon

Check/replace the clutch if required.

Check/adjust valve clearances.

Any other odd job like that that is easier to do while out of the vehicle.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Pewsey

I was just about to say that. Get a complete gasket set, rear main, front seal, sump, rocker etc etc, consider the head gasket, again it's easier to do with the engine out.

You might also want to change the timing chain, as a precautionary measure, it's all down to how much you feel like doing. Personally, I'd change all the service bits. I've got a block sitting on the floor, for which I have all the seals, gaskets, new rings, new timing chain, new water pump, valve stem seals and a host of other little bits and pieces.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:15:40 -0000, "Jon" spilled forth with the follow words of wisdom:

Oil seals, defiantly the rear, as you have to take engine out, or remove gearbox, when fitted in the Landy, and it Will blow when you have fitted it to the new chassis:-)

-- Dan Allen Events Sec:- Home Counties Land Rover Club Webmaster:- Enfield Scout Sailing Association Webmaster:- Hoddesdon Radio Club Ham Call sign:- M1ETN Email:- snipped-for-privacy@nospam.valvesunlimited.demon.co.uk Web Site:-

Radio Club:-
Counties Landrover Club:-
Enfield Scout Sailing Association:-
Radio Address:- M1ETN@GB7TUT.#32.GBR.EU * Nothing is illegal until you get caught*Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE:

Dan Allen

Gaskets - right. Is the timing chain a fiddley job? I'll stick on a new water pump, but I don't think I need to venture under the head....... Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon

In theory, no, it's farily simple on a cam-in-block engine. Follow the workshop manual. If you're going to change the crankshaft seals, then you have to remove the timing cover to change the front seal, and the crankshaft to change the rear seal.

I must admit, I've not got around to doing mine yet. The engine has been sitting in the garage waiting for me to do it. As the restoration vehicle it was intended for has not had the chassis restored yet, there seems little point in panicing about the engine. Plus I also have another, running, complete engine/gearbox lying on the floor as well, should any of the others landies blow up.

Alex

Reply to
Alex