Does Toyota have a sludge/gel warranty program

=_NextPart_000_0042_01C4B929.857E2150 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Does Toyota have a sludge/gel warranty program?

I am new to this newsgroup and am wondering about all the problems about = oil slude.

Is there a problem here and does Toyota have a sludge/gel warranty = program?

What year camrys does it cover if it exist?

Reply to
Dave

=_NextPart_000_005C_01C4B92D.F8E439F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I am researching this problem and found @

the = following information

Here are the guidelines Toyota is using to establish the engines that = are prone to having the sludge (gel) condition:

Camry 4 cyl. Produced 8/96 - 7/01 Camry 6 cyl. Produced 8/96 - 7/01 Solara 4 cyl. Produced 6/98 - 5/01 Solara 6 cyl. Produced 6/98 - 5/01 Sienna 6 cyl. Produced 7/97 - 5/01 Avalon 6 cyl. Produced 7/96 - 5/01 Celica 4 cyl. Produced 8/96 - 4/99 Highlander 6 cyl. Produced 11/00 - 7/01 If you look at the vehicle identification label on the left door or left = door post you can find the date of manufacutre. It normally is one of = the first things you can see on the upper left of the label (example =

7/98 means it was made July, 1998).

The actual cause of the problem is an inability of the engine's = crankcase ventilation system (PCV) to move the normal gases from the = engine. When these gases stay longer in an hot engine it allows deposits = to form on the metal parts of the engine. When enough deposits are = present "Sludge" is formed. In my opinion the reduced flow of the PCV is = related to the vehicle emissions. This presents a problem since to = correct it may require Toyota to recertify the engines, come up with a = solution acceptable to the EPA and then they still have to repair or = assist in repairing the affected engines. The costs would be staggering = but ignoring the problem, in so many of their best selling vehicles, may = be worse in the long run. In the various articles I've listed below, if = you want, you will learn more about the cause an effect.

The following topics are links to gather more information about what = causes the condition. At this point this is for information only, if you = have the condition please contact your local Toyota=20

I am new to this newsgroup and am wondering about all the problems = about oil slude.

Is there a problem here and does Toyota have a sludge/gel warranty = program?

What year camrys does it cover if it exist?

Reply to
Dave

=_NextPart_000_0067_01C4B932.48A14B50 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

The "How To" prevent the Sludging problem.

You may be thinking of purchasing a Toyota or you may have heard the = stories of engine problems with the Camry, Avalon, Sienna or Lexus = engines. In any case I would like to share some ways you can prevent = that from happening to you.

First: Use the dealer for your oil change maintenance.

Second: Use the dealer for your oil change maintenance.

Third: Use the dealer for your oil change maintenance.

Fourth: Go ahead and guess this one.

Having spent almost 30 years involved with service departments at auto = dealerships I have seen many of the problems possible with vehicles. = Many were a combination of design oversights or lack of maintenance by = the owner. The engine sludge problem that has developed is still a = mystery regarding the true cause. Toyota is maintaining that the owner = is the fault since they choose not to use the dealer for oil changes. = Having left the family and gone out on their own mistakes will be made = and it's not their fault something bad happens. That's contrary to the = warranty information they print and give you when you purchase the = shinny new Toyota,but when you do what they recommend somewhere else, = they basically say you asked for this and now it's yours to deal with.

On the other hand I will say that until recently the dealers were not = seeing this problem with vehicles they maintained. Meaning, if the owner = used the Toyota or Lexus dealer for oil changes and had the regular = maintenance performed there, the engines did not suffer the sludge = problem. I go into some detail as to the possible reasons why these = vehicles are not as prone to sludge in other parts of this section, so I = won't belabor the point now.

The point I want to make is that if you use the dealer for just oil = changes, following the recommended time/mileage periods that Toyota = suggests in the owners manual, how can they say no if your engine has = the problem. You stayed faithful to them and if it still happens they = won't even bring the subject up, they will stammer for a cause, but = offer to take care of it on the spot.

You may be asking, "Can I start using them now?" . The answer is of = course yes by all means.

I encourage you to use the dealer for all you maintenance, they have the = trained people and know the vehicle. Not all 6 or 4 cylinder engines = will sludge, but some will so why play the odds using a non-dealer to = provide this needed service. The only caution I offer is the "regular = maintenance" sales pitch they may recommend. Be careful here since they = may suggest things not needed at that mileage and were manufactured to = produce income not provide a true service value for your vehicle. You = can prevent this from happening by reading the owner's manual = maintenance section and follow the least demanding maintenance schedule. = Almost no one drives under "severe conditions " no matter what the = dealer will try to tell you, that is a hook they use to over repair the = vehicle and thus generate additional department profits. The good = dealers will offer you a choice, explaining the different levels needed, = you may choose the basic or the more advanced (this is not bad by the = way, just not needed for every visit) but regular dealer visits is the = key to engine and vehicle longevity.

One final thought, use the dealer, use the dealer, use the dealer for = your maintenance

I am new to this newsgroup and am wondering about all the problems = about oil slude.

Is there a problem here and does Toyota have a sludge/gel warranty = program?

What year camrys does it cover if it exist?

Reply to
Dave

You're an idiot, Charlene, and you replied to yourself using the same fake email address you posted the original question from.

Reply to
MB

This isn't Charlene so flame somewhere else you IDIOT = snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net What's your problem here. I'm trying to finout information about oil sluding or gelling as it is known as. PS. My return email address is not a fake one!

Reply to
Dave

Oh my gawd! I recognized her rap. Stupid witch that she is. Her birthday is coming up very soon ... LOL

--

  -Philip
Reply to

Dave: You're SO LATE to this topic that it's not even laughable. The "trick" is not in having the car serviced at a dealership. The "trick" is motivating people to get the vehicle serviced ON TIME ... using a schedule that is appropriate to the owner's driving conditions. FEW people qualify for the "normal" schedule of 7,500 miles.

All this stuff you posted is been hashed out on this and many other forums for about three years. Do a Google search for yourself.

--
  -Philip

Dave wrote:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Philip

Why then do you ask a question, then proceed to answer it yourself?

mb

----------------------

Dave wrote:

Reply to
MB

Does this mean that "The actual cause of the problem is an inability of the engine's crankcase ventilation system (PCV) to move the normal gases from the engine. When these gases stay longer in an hot engine it allows deposits to form on the metal parts of the engine. When enough deposits are present "Sludge" is formed." is not true? Or if you change the oil often enough it won't happen

Reply to
Dave

I own a 2001 Camry and during 2002 I received a couple of notices about a oil jelling warranty limited time program for (I believe) '97-'01. It was to expire within about a 1 year.

Reply to
mrbhanks

I agree with Dave. My 2001 Camry 4's pcv valve needs to be cleaned at least every 2500 miles. I also have a '92 that has the same problem. Toyota says to just change oil regularly and there won't be a problem. Because I use an effecient bypass filter, I haven't changed my oil, except for one quart evey 10,000 to replace what was lost in changing the two filters, in 50,000, but just keep the pcv valve clean, and my car's fine.

Reply to
mrbhanks