EGR Valve frustrations

Hello experts, do I have a problem for you! I have a 2000 Toyota Camry LE 4cyl auto. The car has 230,000kms on the clock and other than that stupid EGR valve, runs perfectly. I have been having this problem for about 8 months now and I can't seem to figure it out. Neither can the dealer.

Last May, I was just getting on the highway when my check engine light came on. Once I reached my destination, I called the dealership to schedule an appointment to get it checked out. The car had two codes:

1 EGR insufficient and EVAP. The Evap was easy to fix: New filler neck and no more problems.

They said the EGR problem was not current and that it was probably a one time deal. I said ok and went on about my day. After a few days, the light came back on. I took it back in and sure enough, P0401, EGR insufficient. They tested the EGR valve and it seemed to be working properly, but the VSV switch was not. I replaced it with the hope of never seeing the light again. Well, it came back on, on my way home from the dealer. I turned around. They wanted to take the new part out and replace it with the old one. I said forget it and demanded my money back.

After receiving my money, I went to an independent mechanic and he kept the car for two days while testing the valve and stumped to see it pass every time.

Here I am now, with a stubborn EGR valve and a more frustrating engine light. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
camryguy