engine coolant gage

the engine coolant gage on my 1994 2.2 L 4 door camry shows high temperature all time. I was a little worried initially if my engine was getting overheated.I capped the coolant level and let myvehicle cool down for sometime.when i turned my vehicle into off position, the indicator instantly turned to cool position. but the moment i turn the key, it shows high temperature. Any idea what could the issue be? Is it a gage fault or something more serious?

also, would one recommend a transmission flush or just a transmission oil change? the new oil changed after an oil change still is black than being red/pink.my car has about 118000 miles on it.

Thanks, Best regards

Reply to
kryptonite

You need to get the coolant temperature checked by another gauge. Your local mechanic should do this in a couple of minutes while your gauge is indicating high. If your coolant is outof its norml range it could be>

thermostat, clogged radiator. electric fans inoperative.

Leave it until another 10,000ks then get it flushed and changed.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Some makes of temperature gauges turn off when the key is off (but gas level stays about correct). This in itself may be normal for your instrument gauge set. Check what Jason suggested. Also the coolant should be full (check only when cold) in the radiator.

Other causes inlucde: the radiator plastic tanks may have hairline cracks, the radiator cap may not be holding pressure (get a Stant one with a spring loaded vacuum valve instead of a weighted plastic valve), or the head gasket may have a leak in the extreme case. But start with the simple stuff first.

The Aisin tranny (A140) is a fairly dirty (low cost) transmission. I wouldn't flush the transmission because that forces all the metal shavings into other places and that won't clean your strainer for you. I would rather replace the strainer (Fram ATF kits for under $20) and wipe clean the pan and place the magnets correctly without blocking the strainer pickup port. Then refill the tranny and the differential to the proper level with the correct fluid (GM Dexron III in yours? Dextron III replaces the II).

I thought 24K miles for a strainer change was too long looking at one a few weeks ago, can't imagine 118,000 miles!!! An alternative method to forced flushing is to replace the strainer (and wipe the pan clean) followed by three drains and refills a week apart with the correct fluid to the right level.

People have said not to touch an old transmission because it might fail driving off the lot, but a good mechanic should help a lot.

Reply to
johngdole

== Best practice for cleaning the inside of the transmission pan is to spray solvent then air dry to avoid the possibility of any lint or thread from a rag contamininating the valve body.

Reply to
Daniel

Yes, it's always good to make sure no lint/dirt gets into the transmission. But I doubt dealer techs spray solvent and then air dry tranny pans. Many of them can't even fill fluids to the proper levels.

Reply to
johngdole