1988 Toyota Camry 4-cly automatic

I have had my camry since it was new. I recently had a laundry list of maintenance done to it including new tires, tune-up, new batt, all fluids changed etc., etc., costing me up to $ 2,700.00. I have maintained it good along the way. It just passed 100,000 miles Now, when I drive roughly 30 miles on short trips doing errands and the car gets hot, once I stop and turn off the ignation on the third stop I cannot restart the car until it cools off under the hood??? I have to wait about thirty minutes to let it cool off for it to start again. So far, no one can figure out the solution and repair for this problem. Of, course when the car is in the mechanics possession they cannot duplicate the complaint!!! (I don't think they have heated the engine up enough??) Does anyone out there have any ideas they can share with me to correct this problem. Would appreciate the help very much. I just retired and we need a reliable car.

Thanks

Reply to
prodriguez333

Besides the EGR modulator, valve, coil and other things people talk about recently here, I'd just hold open slightly the throttle and try to start that way. If the engine starts and continues to run then it's the Idle Air Control valve that needs cleaning. It's a fast and easy test.

You can google the imfamous "iac valve cleaning" and read more about it. You can also google the other problems above and learn more about them. Of course, given the recent major maintenance, sometimes it's hard to tell if something else got knocked the wrong way.

Reply to
johngdole

Most common complaint on these usually reliable cars is the ignition coil under the distributor cap. I'd check that first next time it is hot enough to fail starting.

Reply to
Daniel