Extend range of OEM alarm/door locks?

Howdy.

I have the OEM alarm and door/trunk locks on my 2002 Camry. I have to be about 30-50 feet before the remote works. That strikes me as an extremely short range.

Is something wrong? I see folks all the time opening doors and trunks in parking lots from 500+ feet. Is there something I can do to extend the range?

Thanks.

p.s. It's not batteries; already replaced those....

Reply to
Big Kahuna

parklights

Hold it up to your skull when you use the remote. It works. I'm serious.

Reply to
qslim

This Is true, As your Head acts as a Dish antenna..........It's very helpful to add another 25 or so feet, but don;t count on having a 500 ft range out of it.

Generally , the manufacturer makes them to work under 100 fett to avoid issues, and to make the car more safe.

If you unlock your car from 500 feet, then someone could feasibly get in a door you can't see from your approach and be inside waitng for you if you aren't paying attention. This is kind of a generality and not something I have documentation on. however.

I have two remotes for my car, one works a long distance, the other a short distance. I think , If you are inclined and talented, you can trim the Key Fob Antenna with a tiny plastic screwdriver and try it while you do so...........metal screwdriver screws with the antenna "length" if you use one. Plastic has no ill effect.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®