Fuel Tank Filler Door 99 Camry

The fuel tank door on my mom's 99 Camry will not open because the spring broke. This is inconvenient because one person has to lift the opener handle while another person has to pry the door open. It will be a day or two before I can look at the problem she has with her Camry. What needs to be done to replace this spring or what ever pops the door open? The latch and cable are not the problem.

Reply to
Clay

I don't know if Toyota will sell you just a bent, flat piece of steel. That's all it is.

You can fabricate one out of a variety of flat spring stock or mount a small coil spring in its place.

Clay wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

I had the same problem on my '98 Camry LE but didn't lose the little springy piece. It was a piece of metal that was folded in half and sprung out from that position. I put it back in place behind the door hinge and attached it on both sides with cable ties and it has been fine for a year or more.

Reply to
David In NH

The spring assembly on my 98 Camry recently broke (actually the plastic base broke), and I took it to the dealer and they sold me a new one (a metal spring mounted on a plastic base) for about $4.

In the meantime, if you have an old credit card (or anything like a credit card) jam in right edge of the fuel door and then pull up on the release lever inside the car. That will usually open the fuel door when you don't have a friend to help you.

Reply to
Mark A

The spring can be purchased at a Toyota dealer for a few dollars. To fix it you will need a screwdriver of sufficient length to be able to push on the spring with the fuel filler door open at a 45 degree angle. Takes just a few seconds. I fixed this on my '99 Camry last year.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Lee