fuel filler door problem

The fuel filler door on my 97 Camry has stopped opening. When I pull the inside latch nothing happens. I'd appreciate any suggestions and approximately how much it will cost to fix. Thanks

Reply to
barney

This happened to me. It requires the replacement of a spring clip in the filler door. Cost under $2 and took about 1 minute.

Jeff

Reply to
Beans

I had this happen on my wife's 97 Camry. I gently pried around with a very small screwdriver and a bent paper clip and managed to get the door open. I bent the catch on the door slightly so I had to straighten it, then I lubed the latch with cable lube. Now every time she gets the oil changed at the dealer I lube the latch along with the all the other latches and hinges. You might be able to pull the inside panel in the trunk and access the cable and/or latch assy.

Reply to
davidj92

Reply to
barney

Beans, I have a 99 Camry with the same problem. The little spring clip broke off on the fuel filler door. Where did you get the replacement spring clip from? A Toyota dealer or somewhere else? If I can't find the part, I was going to epoxy the clip back on, but I am not sure this will hold. Did you have do anything tricky to get the replacement clip on? Thanks for any help you can give.

Reply to
clovismike

the fuel filler door. Where did you get the replacement spring clip from? A Toyota dealer or somewhere else? If I can't find the part, I was going to epoxy the clip back on, but I am not sure this will hold. Did you have do anything tricky to get the replacement clip on? Thanks for any help you can give.

Reply to
barney

So, without the remote cable, how the HELL do you open the fuel door? My 99 has no lock or manual mechanism on the fuel door. The ONLY way I can open my fuel door is by activating the remote lever.

off on the fuel filler door. Where did you get the replacement spring clip from? A Toyota dealer or somewhere else? If I can't find the part, I was going to epoxy the clip back on, but I am not sure this will hold. Did you have do anything tricky to get the replacement clip on? Thanks for any help you can give.

Reply to
Sharix

I went to the Toyota dealer today. The spring clip was replaceable for my 99 Camry LE made in Kentucky, and it cost $3.50. I had to pry the base of the old one off with a screwdriver (it broke off finally). New one went in easy after a little manipulation. Now, the fuel door release works great. I should have gone to the dealer earlier instead of trying to epoxy the old one on. I hope this helps everyone.

Reply to
clovismike